Deadline July 6, 2015
Duration: Temporary Full Time (8 months)
Locations: 81 Resources Road / 661 University Avenue, Toronto
Compensation Group: OPSEU
Position Status: OPEN
Salary: $28.11 - $32.64 per hour
Job ID: 15-0229
Posting date: June 19 2015
Closing Date: July 6, 2015
Public Health Ontario (PHO) is a Crown corporation dedicated to protecting and promoting the health of all Ontarians and reducing inequities in health. As a hub organization, PHO links public health practitioners, front-line health workers and researchers to the best scientific intelligence and knowledge from around the world.
PHO provides expert scientific and technical support relating to infection prevention and control; surveillance and epidemiology; health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention; environmental and occupational health; health emergency preparedness; and public health laboratory services to support health providers, the public health system and partner ministries in making informed decisions and taking informed action to improve the health and security of Ontarians. For more information please visit www.publichealthontario.ca.
The Supervisor, Mail Room and Warehouse, provides team leadership and oversight of the day to day services and activities of the PHOL Warehouse to support overall supply chain management across PHOL.
- Supervises the day to day operations of the PHOL Warehouse and Distribution center involving the purchase, receipt, verification, storage, control, packaging and shipping of stock and non-stock items, specimen “kits”, materials and reagents;
- Supervises the day to day the provision of mail / specimen and courier services, Canada Post services, and other courier companies providing pick-up and delivery services;
- Coordinates the daily work routines for Shipper/Receiver staff and Mail Clerks by ensuring that the workflow is in line with staff assignments and workload expectations. Ensures staff adherence to established work routines, safe working practices and hazard free working conditions;
- Procurement / order processing for warehouse inventory of items at Public Health Laboratories Department (PHOL) through Sage Accpac;
- Provides assistance, as required, with requests for quotations for competitive procurements, evaluating submissions and completing or setting up QC’s for product;
- Maintains and completes expediting process and control of products and materials to PHOL, ensuring the availability of inventory and products to all clients through the monitoring of daily, weekly and monthly inventory reports;
- Provides reports, data, or documentation, as required, for Warehouse Procurement initiatives or Warehouse budget process to Logistics Operations Manager for sign off;
- Maintains operational data (e.g. staffing, equipment, supplies for analysis and decision making) for management review and use;
- Provides weekly and monthly inventory reports to Logistics Operations Manager for product usage, forecasting of future demand, reorder points, etc., to be used to ensure economic and timely inventory distribution and on hand stock levels;
- Leads and maintains regular cycle counting and inventory control process;
- Provides updates and recommendations to maintain and enhance PHOL ERP system to ensure consistency, accuracy, and efficient use of the ERP system, e.g., changes to stocks items re: unit of measure, order quantities, reorder levels, product specifications, delivery schedules, minimum order quantities, pricing, etc.;
- Assists the Logistics Operations Manager in providing guidance, communication and follow up to external contracted courier staff to ensure that courier staff is updated on schedules to ensure that operational needs are being met;
- Trouble-shoot unique and infrequent client needs through consulting with Logistics team members / client group and propose any required change in processes impacting the Warehouse and Logistics department to Logistics Operations Manager;
- Ensures that all service related equipment is properly used, maintained and repaired by providing proper training, regular preventative maintenance programs and prompt repairs when necessary;
- Facilitates removal/disposal of records, chemical and biomedical waste and assets, as required, as per approved procedures;
- Participates in development and implementation of internal policies and procedures and makes recommendations on meeting client needs;
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of methods and best practices in warehouse and distribution, centralized shipping, receiving, inventory control, dispatching and warehousing;
- Knowledge of computerized inventory systems to monitor and control inventory and general office programs to prepare reports and other correspondence;
- Knowledge of safety requirements, WHIMIS legislation, to oversee warehouse operations and supplies including chemicals, solvents or reagents;
- Knowledge of Transportation of Dangerous Goods legislation to coordinate the receipt and shipment of clinical specimens;
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and regulations;
- Knowledge of PHO administrative policies and procedures relating to Mail / Courier and Messenger services, budget administration, purchasing procedures and of VOR requirements;
- Knowledge of the roles, functions and services of the mail / courier operation; post office methods and Canada Post regulations;
- Knowledge of MS Office applications such as Word, Outlook and Excel;
- Financial skills to analyze product costs, demand planning, and inventory control;
- Skills in the use of manual and mechanical mail-processing and related systems and equipment (e.g. Postal equipment for sealing and affixing postage, mail opening machine, computer systems for courier mail routing, folding and inserting equipment for mass mailings), post office methods and regulations to process a high volume of outgoing mail.
Education and Experience
- High School Diploma, an Inventory Management Certificate and valid Lift Truck License;
- Minimum five years’ relevant experience including oversight of a warehouse and distribution center.
Your cover letter and resume must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications and competencies of the position.
If you are interested in applying to this position, please go to http://www.publichealthontario.ca/en/About/Careers/Pages/default.aspx and click on “View Our Current Job Opportunities” and then click on the job title. You should receive a response to your application.
Thank you for your interest in this position, however, only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please continue to view our website for new career opportunities with Public Health Ontario.