Deadline July 8, 2015
J0615-0398 Environmental Health Specialist
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Desired Salary: 36.99 $CAD /Hour to 43.49 $CAD /Hour
Reports to: Manager, Health Protection
Closing Date: July 8th, 2015
Assist the Manager to fulfill the requirements of the Health Hazard Prevention & Management Standard and the Identification, Investigation and Management of Health Hazards Protocol. Under these guidelines which identify that the Board of Health shall: reduce adverse health outcomes from exposure to chemical, radiological, biological and physical factors in the environment; provide timely and effective detection and identification of environmental risks/exposures, monitor trends in exposure and identify exposure sources and routes. The incumbent will: make recommendations on control/abatement measures to reduce exposure and monitor exposure through surveillance and epidemiology; review and maintain relevant data on health hazards in the environment within the health unit including available reports of adverse test results provided by federal, provincial, local governments or other agencies; stay informed of available resources and expertise for investigating health hazards in the environment including resources to support investigations where health hazards in the environment are linked to land use planning and development proposal.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Research issues of environmental concern.
- Monitor response on issues by third parties.
- Monitor internal response and currency of WDGPH relevant website and policy.
- Entering and updating GIS maps to the system.
- Monitor events in other jurisdictions that affect WDGPH.
- Review reports from various levels of government.
- Develop criteria such as decision trees or matrixes and methods for program logic models to guide HPD response to environmental health hazards and assess potential impact and capacity to respond.
- Link/meet with the Health Analytics team to ensure that the foundational standard of the OPHS including population health assessment, surveillance, research and knowledge exchange, program evaluation are consistent with WDGPH format/policy.
Hours of Work:
- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
- Flexible working hours are required
- August, 2015 to August, 2016
- Master’s Degree in an environmental discipline, environmental science, engineering, or toxicology;
- 4 year undergraduate degree in Science
- 1 to 3 years related practical work experience preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal skills including report writing risk communication.
- Research, evaluation and knowledge exchange/transfer skills including public speaking.
- Project management and risk management skills.
- Surveillance and epidemiological skills.
- Ability to work independently and in a group.
- Competency in using statistical and mapping (GIS) software.
- Valid driver’s license and use of vehicle
- Maintain annual influenza and adult immunization
For further details and to apply view the posting on our website: https://clients.njoyn.com/CL4/xweb/XWeb.asp?tbtoken=ZlBRRh1aRVU4YwRxQVdR....
We thank all applicants, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
WDG Public Health is an equal opportunity employer. Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, and will be used to determine eligibility of employment.
WDG Public Health is committed to providing accommodations during the recruitment process for people with disabilities. If you require accommodation(s), please advise Human Resources in advance and we will work with you to meet your needs.