Ontario is investing $55 million over three years for an enhanced Youth Action Plan to support more high-risk youth and additional high-needs communities across the province.
This enhanced plan builds on the success of the Ontario Youth Action Plan which was released in 2012. Additional targeted investments are being made in areas of the province that need it most, including Sudbury, Kingston, Brantford, Peterborough, Thunder Bay and the Greater Toronto Area.
The enhanced plan is based on five pillars:
- Best Start, Right Start - providing early and ongoing support to help young people make better choices and successfully transition into their teen years with initiatives like Stop Now and Plan (SNAP) and the development of a Middle Years Strategy
- Safe Communities - laying the foundation for keeping youth and communities safe through programs like Youth Justice Family Workers and a new Restorative Justice and Conflict Mediation Program
- Youth Well-being - decreasing risk factors such as disengagement with school, unemployment and antisocial activity through programs like the Youth Outreach Worker Program and the provincewide expansion of the Youth Opportunities Fund
- Youth Engagement - addressing barriers to social inclusion and creating more positive opportunities for newcomer and Aboriginal youth, through measures including a new Youth Mentorship Program
- Working Together, Building on Success - working together with the private sector and community providers to create new opportunities for youth through programs like the Private Sector Jobs and Mentorship Initiative
The enhanced Youth Action Plan is part of the government's plan to give every child the opportunity to thrive and have the best possible start in life. It is also part of the government's four-part plan to build Ontario up through investing in people's talents and skills, making the largest investment in public infrastructure in Ontario's history, creating a dynamic, innovative environment where business thrives, and building a secure retirement savings plan.
For more information, please visit http://news.ontario.ca/mcys/en/2015/06/ontario-launches-enhanced-youth-a....