Thunder Bay, Ontario
Deadline July 20, 2015
Hours of Work: Temporary – Full-Time – 28 Hours per Week (0.80 FTE) with a Temporary increase in hours to 35 Hours Per Week (1.00 FTE) until December 31, 2015
Effective: August 31, 2015 to October 21, 2016 (Subject to Change)
Location: Main Office – North Bay
Additional Info: Leave of Absence
Under the direction of the Program Manager, Healthy Living Team, the Community Health Promoter as a member of an interdisciplinary health profession team, works with municipalities, community partners, priority populations, hospitals, and workplaces to meet the requirements of the Chronic Disease Prevention Program Standard, Prevention of Injury and Substance Misuse program standard, Ontario Public Health Standards 2008 and the Smoke-Free Ontario Act. Work involves researching, planning, developing, implementing and evaluating a range of assessment and surveillance, comprehensive health promotion strategies and policy development, and health protection initiatives.
Education, Experience, Skills & Abilities:
- Baccalaureate degree (4 years) in health science or applied science (health promotion)
- Two year’s experience in community health promotion programming grounded in knowledge of community development process, health policy analysis and development, social marketing, mass communication, media advocacy, application of behaviour change theory and principles of adult education
- Experience in managing and coordinating health related projects
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate community partnerships with diverse groups (e.g., business/workplace, health professionals)
- Ability to critically assess applied health research and develop detailed program proposals and reports
- Demonstrated ability in program planning and evaluation
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to use computer technology including MS Word, Power Point, Internet, E-mail and Social Media
- Ability to work both independently and within a team environment
- Ability to work flex hours as required
- Requires a valid “G” Ontario Driver’s Licence and access to a reliable vehicle
As a condition of employment, the successful candidate will be required to provide a Criminal Reference Check including the Vulnerable Sector Check: recent, within four (4) months at their expense and will be required to comply with the Health Unit’s immunization policies. Applicants requiring accommodation for the interview are asked to make such requests only when contacted for an interview.
Hourly Rate: Minimum $29.97 to maximum $33.74 (plus 4% vacation pay and 4% public holiday pay)
Closing Date: July 20, 2015 At 4:00 P.M.
Please forward your resume, cover letter and proof of education required for this position to the attention of:
Wendy Moore, Human Resources Assistant
Attention: Job Posting #2015/018
North Bay Parry Sound District Health Unit
681 Commercial Street
North Bay, ON P1B 4E7 or
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Once posting is closed, please refer to website for status of job posting.
The Health Unit is an Equal Opportunity Employe