Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
Deadline July 22, 2015
The Board of Health for the District of Algoma Health Unit (The Board) is seeking an interim Chief Executive Officer (CEO).
The interim CEO, in collaboration with the acting Medical Officer of Health will:
- Be responsible for implementing the mission, vision, values, strategic plan, and policies and directives of the Board.
- Implement successful transition strategies in the context of the Provincial Assessor’s report and the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care’s findings and actions.
- Be responsible for the overall management of all programs, services and functions of the Health Unit, as well as its properties and budgets.
- Provide general oversight of all APH activities, manages the day-to-day operations, and assure a smoothly functioning, efficient organization.
- Assure program quality and organizational stability through development and implementation of systems, policies and procedures, and regular evaluation.
- Assure a work environment that recruits, retains and supports quality staff.
- Ensure the implementation of financial systems and controls which are consistent with Ministry guidelines, Board by-laws and policies which are in keeping with generally acceptable accounting practices.
- Chair Executive Committee meetings.
- Work with the BOH Chair to enable the Board to fulfill its governance functions and facilitate the optimum performance by the Board, its committees and individual Board members.
- Attend all regular and subcommittee meetings of the Board.
- A Bachelor’s degree in business or health administration, law or political science and a Master’s degree and/or significant experience as alternate may be considered
- A minimum of five (5) years’ experience in a senior management position
- Demonstrated critical competencies in:
- Commitment to results: the interim CEO is a systems thinker who is client focused and goal driven.
- Business savvy: this position requires an individual with knowledge of, and experience in, management and administration. Knowledge in the following areas is required: human resources, finance, communications, planning and evaluation, and governance.
- Leading change and transition: the interim CEO possesses the skills and implements the functions of a leader. This individual shares APH’s values, mission and vision. The interim CEO consistently displays integrity, models behaviour, develops people and builds teams.
- Motivating: This individual manages continuity, change and transition, and is ‘pragmatic’ in approach. The interim CEO knows how to engage, influence, and enable others and build leadership capacity. The individual may be described as ‘insightful’ and ‘intuitive’.
- Previous public health or health care experience in a medium sized public sector organization is preferred.
- The individual must provide, at his or her own cost, a clear criminal record check as a condition of employment.
Please submit your cover letter and résumé by 4:30 p.m. on July 22, 2015 to:
Algoma Public Health
Attention: Antoniette Tomie
Director of Human Resources & Corporate Services
294 Willow Avenue
Sault Ste. Marie, ON P6B 0A9
Fax: 705 759-2540
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Ontarians with Disabilities Act, Algoma Public Health will provide accommodation for candidates with disabilities, upon request.