Deadline August 20, 2015
Job ID: 15-0286
Public Health Ontario (PHO) is a Crown corporation dedicated to protecting and promoting the health of all Ontarians and reducing inequities in health. As a hub organization, PHO links public health practitioners, front-line health workers and researchers to the best scientific intelligence and knowledge from around the world.
PHO provides expert scientific and technical support relating to infection prevention and control; surveillance and epidemiology; health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention; environmental and occupational health; health emergency preparedness; and public health laboratory services to support health providers, the public health system and partner ministries in making informed decisions and taking informed action to improve the health and security of Ontarians.
For more information about PHO, visit http://www.publichealthontario.ca.
Position Title: Senior Research Facilitator
Department: Research and Ethics
Duration: Permanent Full Time
Hours: 36.25 hours per week
Location: 480 University Avenue, Toronto
Compensation Group: AMAPCEO
Position Status: Open
Job Code: Group 6
Salary: $73,460 - $102,850 annually
Job ID: 15-0286
Posting Date: August 6, 2015
Closing Date: August 20, 2015
Serves as an experienced member of the Research & Ethics team to develop, refine and deliver pre- and post-award services to support research across the organization. The Senior Research Facilitator provides expert support to an interdisciplinary scientific team to identify, apply for and successfully obtain and administer research funding. This includes supporting scientists to develop high quality research protocols as well as ensuring corporate procedures are in place to effectively administer funds and implement projects. The Senior Research Facilitator is accountable to ensure compliance with regulatory, sponsor and corporate policies and practices for research.
- Act as an expert resource to scientists and research teams to support the development of study protocols and prepare application documents for grant and award competitions:
- Provide advice and suggested resolutions to conceptual, methodological and practical challenges involving study designs, methodology, feasibility issues, budget and other proposal components
- Completes critical review of draft proposals to provide scientific and practical feedback based on sponsor guidelines and review criteria.
- Support applicants in completing application forms and electronic submission documents required to apply for funding
- Anticipate and prioritizes resource needs to update and develop new resources for research teams to assist with applications, including but not limited to:
- Budget tools and calculators
- Scientific design, methodology and analysis tools and guides
- o Grant writing resources
- Anticipates and keeps apprised of grant and award institutional administrative requirements (including PHO, regulatory and sponsor policies, procedures and directives) and liaises with sponsors as required to gain clarity and negotiate requirements; designs and modifies internal procedures to ensure compliance. Accountable for notifying and supporting PHO corporate service areas including legal, finance, privacy, to develop, implement and audit processes to ensure compliance with these requirements.
- Review procedures to ensure compliance with sponsor, regulatory and PHO policies to provide sound recommendations for project approval to the Chief Science Officer.
- Develop, coordinate and deliver orientation and training related to research and ethics practices and procedures including protocol development, funding application processes, research integrity and post-award administrative responsibilities. Supports Manager, Research and Ethics and the Chief Science Officer to develop and deliver content for research retreats and events.
- Manages and supports the development and implementation of research contracts on behalf of scientists and the institution; where necessary, assesses risks, negotiates deliverables and reporting requirements with external parties to make recommendations to legal and the Chief Science Officer.
- Assist project teams with project implementation, by providing support for operational processes such as financial reporting and collaboration agreements.
- Collaborate with Research & Ethics team members to develop and manage appropriate tracking systems for funding applications and on-going projects while meeting accountability requirements of funders, regulators, governments and internal policies and procedures.
- Contribute to Research & Ethics team activities (e.g. development of templates, policies and guidelines to be used within the research and ethics group; operational plan updates).
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of developing key components of research proposals including but not limited to literature reviews, objective statements, methodology and analytic plans, knowledge exchange plans, ethical and privacy requirements, resource planning and justification (budget and personnel) in order to provide critical feedback based on sponsor requirements and review guidelines.
- In-depth knowledge of a range of study designs and qualitative and quantitative research methodology in order to provide critical feedback and resolutions to conceptual and methodological issues in study proposals.
- Thorough understanding of the Canadian peer-review granting systems, processes and procedures to submit proposals such as the CIHR Grants and Awards Guide, ResearchNet and the Canadian Common CV.
- Thorough understanding of Canadian and International peer-review granting requirements for the administration of sponsored funds such as the Tri-Council Financial Administration Guide, Responsible Conduct in Research, and Requirements for the public announcement of research.
- Excellent writing skills to advise research and scientific staff in the development of clear and concise grant applications/research proposals.
- Skilled in the delivery of presentations and workshops and the development of resources to build capacity regarding proposal development, project implementation and responsible conduct of research.
- Organizational skills sufficient to orchestrate multiple activities at the same time in order to accomplish a goal; organizational skills to arrange the effective and efficient use of resources.
- Strong interpersonal and listening skills to work effectively with other members of the research and ethics team and to interact with all scientists and research teams using a high degree of discretion and diplomacy.
- Skill in the operation of various systems and software programs including: word processing, database management, Excel and other spreadsheet applications, PowerPoint and other presentation applications.
- Effective organizational and project management skills and initiative.
- Ability to work efficiently under conditions of multiple deadlines and changing priorities with meticulous attention to detail.
Education and Experience
- Master’s level training in public health, health sciences, health administration, social sciences, or equivalent area of study in order to support the development of project proposals, and to assist the development of partnerships and collaborative approaches to research.
- Minimum of five years of experience providing pre-award services to promote the research agenda in a Canadian institution.
- Extensive experience in the development of grant applications/proposals for a variety of funding agencies would be considered an asset.
- Minimum of five years of experience providing research project coordination or management in the field of public health or health sciences.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please visit http://www.publichealthontario.ca/en/About/Careers/Pages/Current-Job-Opp... and click on the job title.
Your cover letter and resume must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications/competencies.
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.