Deadline: August 24, 2015
The Poverty, Homelessness and Options Team at London InterCommunity Health Centre has a full time vacancy for a dynamic and passionate Community Outreach Worker who is highly skilled at engaging and supporting vulnerable individuals and families who experience, or are at risk of homelessness.
This position offers a unique opportunity to promote and support any positive change in the lives of people living in poverty who face a multitude of complex problems and have difficulty accessing appropriate care. The Community Outreach Worker will engage effectively with people wherever they are to establish healthy relationships and provide advocacy both at the individual and systems level. This position will also focus on harm reduction strategies and services for the people we serve.
The Community Outreach Worker works as a member of a multi-disciplinary team supported by physicians, nurse practitioners, nurses, social workers, dietitians, community development workers, and support staff.
- Social Services Diploma/Degree or equivalent combination of post-secondary education and experience in a Social Service field;
- Minimum three (3) to five (5) years of related experience working with highly vulnerable people;
- Awareness of and understanding of the social determinates of health;
- Knowledge of issues affecting of people who are homeless and resources and systems available to support;
- Proven ability to work well with persons living with chronic poverty and complex health concerns including problematic, non-medical use of psycho-active substances;
- Experience organizing and facilitating group activities to engage clients;
- Capability to maintain a calm demeanour when faced with stressful, crisis situations;
- Ability to work with diverse communities with sensitivity, creativity, innovation, cultural understanding, non-judgemental and facilitation skills;
- Ability to maintain complete and accurate records in accordance with the Health Centre's policies;
- Strong computer skills, including the use of MS Office Products and Electronic Medical Records (Nightingale current in use).
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply for these positions by forwarding a covering letter and resume by Monday August 24, 2015 at 4:00pm to the attention of Human Resources by:
London InterCommunity Health Centre
659 Dundas Street
London, Ontario, N5W 2Z1
Fax: (519) 642-1532
London InterCommunity Health Centre is an equal opportunity employer and committed to hiring staff that reflect the diversity of the clients and community that we serve. Should you require accommodation in making an application please contact our office.
We thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected to proceed in the competition will be contacted.