Deadline September 10, 2015
two temporary (six months with possible extension)
Consider this rewarding opportunity with the Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services where you will provide general care and nursing services to support offenders in health care treatment, counselling and education.
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role, you will:
- assess the conditions and needs of offenders based on physical examinations
- assist in the development and implementation of health care plans in consultation with the offender, supervising nurse, physician and other treatment professionals
- provide health care crisis intervention and management
- identify health care services and resources for offenders, advocating on their behalf with treatment professionals
Location: 55 Civic Road, Toronto, Ontario
How do I qualify?
- you are currently a registered nurse in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- you have Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) certification
- you have knowledge of nursing theories, practices and procedures to provide nursing services such as implementing treatment process, first aid and emergency techniques and administering medication
- you have the ability to understand institutional and health care policies and procedures to ensure appropriate treatment
- you have the ability understand and interpret relevant legislation (e.g. Regulated Health Care Professional Act, Health Care Consent Act) to ensure compliance and adherence to offender entitlements
Communication and Teamwork Skills:
- you have strong oral and written communication skills to work effectively with staff and clients
- you are able to work as a member of a multi-disciplinary team and with a diverse client group
- you have strong interpersonal skills to advise and counsel offenders on health care treatment
Other Skills and Requirements:
- you have strong reasoning and observation skills to evaluate offenders response to planned health care intervention and assess emergency situations
- you can meet the physical demands of the essential duties of the position
- Criminal Record (CPIC) check
- Vulnerable Service Sector (VSS) check
- Intelligence check
- Local Police Record check
- Credit check
This position requires working flexible hours (e.g. rotating shifts in a health care unit that provides 24 hour per day, 7 days per week service) including evenings, nights, weekends and statutory holidays.
In accordance with the Ontario Public Service Employment Screening Checks Policy, the top candidate(s) may be required to provide a general or enhanced screening check. Please refer to the Additional Information/Address section above on this job advertisement to determine the screening check that is required for each position.
A general screening check includes a criminal record check and if applicable, fingerprint verification at your own expense. An enhanced screening check includes a criminal record check and if applicable, fingerprint verification at your own expense and permission for the Negotiations & Security Branch, Employee Relations Division to conduct any specific screening as indicated in the Additional Information/Address section above.
A record of a Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The screening check results will only be reviewed and evaluated by the Negotiations & Security Branch for the purpose of making a clearance decision. The details of an individual's screening check will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Screening check records will be maintained by the Negotiations & Security Branch and kept strictly confidential.
Salary range: $1,251.30 – $1,560.03 per week
Please apply online, by September 10, 2015, by visiting http://www.ontario.ca/careers and entering Job ID 81353 in the Job ID search field. Please follow the instructions to submit your application online. Faxes are not being accepted at this time. If you need employment accommodation, please contact us at http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code.