Deadline October 5, 2015
Eight month contract
Job ID 15-0344
Public Health Ontario (PHO) is a Crown corporation dedicated to protecting and promoting the health of all Ontarians and reducing inequities in health. As a hub organization, PHO links public health practitioners, front-line health workers and researchers to the best scientific intelligence and knowledge from around the world.
PHO provides expert scientific and technical support relating to infection prevention and control; surveillance and epidemiology; health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention; environmental and occupational health; health emergency preparedness; and public health laboratory services to support health providers, the public health system and partner ministries in making informed decisions and taking informed action to improve the health and security of Ontarians.
For more information about PHO, visit http://www.publichealthontario.ca.
Position Title: Senior Research Coordinator
Department: Research and Ethics / Analytic Services
Duration: Eight month contract
Position Status: Open
Job Code: Group 5
Salary: $63,330 - $89,163 annual
Hours of Work: 21.75 per week
Posting Date: September 14, 2015
Closing Date: October 5, 2015
Act as an experienced research team member, with expertise in statistical programming and statistical modeling on high performance computing platforms. Lead the implementation of complex research projects under the work direction of the Principal Investigators. Lead the development, evaluation and implementation of a new spatial analysis system that combines new spatial boundaries and statistical models. To take a leading role in interpretation of study results, manuscript and report writing and other knowledge exchange activities.
- Perform statistical programming in R and SAS to develop and evaluate databases of geographical boundaries (shape files) for fast linkage with postal code level case data and analysis.
- Work with GIS Analyst to assist in preparing databases containing Ontario spatial boundaries for use in advanced statistical modeling, and in conducting statistical analyses to determine distributions of population and other potential social demographical factors related to population health.
- Write and operate computer programs in R on high-performance computer platforms to compare and evaluate performance of geographical boundaries and spatial models through statistical simulations of disease locations, spatial modeling and sensitivity/specificity assessment.
- Coordinate all aspects of research project and interact with interdisciplinary team under supervision of Principal Investigators
- Apply newly developed spatial statistical methods and assist with results interpretation in the context of public health programs across the organization (e.g., infectious disease and environmental health data for population health monitoring and risk assessment).
- Document research and methodology development process and progress, including reports to project team.
- Prepare and deliver presentations and manuscripts of research findings and results of applications.
- Acts as the lead author for peer-reviewed manuscripts, technical reports and other knowledge exchange products with guidance from scientists and research team.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with project advisory committees, research teams and knowledge users.
- Ensures timelines are met, resolving any issues that may delay the project.
- Coordinates and prepares all necessary regulatory reports.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills
- Expertise in statistical simulations and methods of comparing and evaluating statistical models is required.
- Expertise in statistical software programming in R is required.
- Experience with statistical computing on high performance computer platforms and parallel computing is required.
- Skill and experience in coordinating data collection, data management, and evaluation of system performance, including demonstrated ability to quantify or appraise implications.
- Developed analytical ability with expert statistical, mathematical and critical analysis skills to evaluate programs, interventions, models, research, reports, data, and to perform analyses, assess and synthesize results and provide authoritative advice based on findings
- Demonstrated effectiveness in communication, including writing and presentation skills.
- Knowledge and skills related to the management and successful completion of complex statistical and scientific projects
- Experience with Geographic Information System (GIS) software and spatial cluster investigation methods would be an asset.
- Experience and knowledge of biostatistical analytic techniques and their interpretation as applied to public health and health services research would be an asset.
- Skill and the ability to work in cross-disciplinary teams would be an asset.
- Skill and expertise in protocol development and tool design to conduct data collection, analysis and interpretation and to identify issues requiring further investigation
- Skill and expertise in conducting and analyzing quantitative and qualitative data and research in area of own specialty.
- Education and Experience
- Masters’ degree in Biostatistics or statistics.
- Minimum of three years of experience in applied statistics, preferable in a health research environment.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please visit http://www.publichealthontario.ca/en/About/Careers/Pages/Current-Job-Opp... and click on the job title.
Your cover letter and resume must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications/competencies.
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.