Deadline October 29, 2015
The Stonegate Community Health Centre is recruiting a Registered Practical Nurse to be a member of our primary care team. The centre provides programs and services aimed at people who face the highest barriers to healthcare in the Stonegate-Queensway community. We are seeking a nursing professional who is committed to primary health care and collaborative interprofessional team work, interested in working to their full scope of practice and passionate about addressing the determinants of health.
This position is a 0.8 – 1.0 FTE position, beginning at the end of November 2015.
Compensation: Salary range (for 1.0 FTE): $39,231 - $47,054, with excellent benefits. Salary will be commensurate with experience and prorated based on full-time equivalency.
The RPN works in partnership with other members of the Clinical Team to plan, coordinate and deliver high quality primary health care services to clients with complex health needs. This role calls for an individual who is comfortable working with and is sensitive to the needs of clients from varied backgrounds and language groups.
Our family practice clinic is a fast-paced, dynamic environment. As such, the successful candidate must have strong common sense, excel at multi-tasking, triage and problem-solving, and have the initiative to proactively support other members of the clinical team in client care.
Reporting: The Nurse reports to the Director, Primary Care.
- Performs procedures such as venipuncture, spirometry, ECG, medication and labs/results follow up, pre-health exam tasks, immunizations and wound care
- Participates in the client intake process
- Provides nursing care as indicated by the clinical team e.g. health teaching, home safety assessments, infant and child care, and breast feeding support
- Responds to telephone requests by clients, triages phone calls for urgent care appointments and provides health advice as needed
- Provides case management, referral and follow-up
- Delivers individual or group-based health education
Clinical Team Support
- Ensures adequate supply and safe storage of vaccines
- Assists in the ordering and management of medical supplies
- Coordinates flu immunization clinics for staff, clients and the community
Occupational Health and Safety and Emergency Preparedness
- Ensures all staff has current mask fitting and flu immunization
- Provides infection control education to staff in coordination with the Occupational Health and Safety Committee
- Participates in Emergency Preparedness Committee
- Works within a health care framework which emphasizes health promotion and education, disease prevention, and recognizes the special risk factors (social, physical, psychological etc) which may affect the health of clients
- Ensures appropriate, comprehensive treatment is delivered by maintaining complete and accurate electronic medical records, participating in chart reviews and discussions of problem cases and by answering patient inquiries and directing them to the appropriate treatment/resource
- Participates in administrative activities of the health centre by: providing input into program development, delivery and evaluation; collecting statistical data as required by the centre; identifying areas of development with regards to policies, procedure and protocols; participating in staff, team and other committees; liaising with other institutions, organizations and health and social service professionals
- Maintains and develops professional competence through appropriate professional development
- Experience and proficiency within the scope of practice of a Registered Practical Nurse
- Experience working in a primary health care setting or a combination of hospital and community settings and/or public health
- Nursing experience working with priority populations and within an interprofessional setting
- Proficiency in the English language – verbal and written
- Experience in venipuncture is an asset
- Ability to speak another language such as Russian, Ukrainian, Albanian, Polish or Spanish is an asset
- Education/Professional Requirements
- Diploma in Practical Nursing
- Current and valid registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Member of RPNAO.
Submit your resume, cover letter and answers to the following questions:
- Describe your understanding of the impact of the social determinants of health on a person’s wellbeing.
- Describe your understanding of the role of the RPN in care coordination.
in Word or PDF format to email@example.com to the attention of the RPN Hiring Committee.
The deadline for applications is 12 noon on Thursday, October 29, 2015.
The Stonegate Community Health Centre is an equal opportunity employer. We would like to thank all those that apply but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.