November 20, 2015
East Scarborough Storefront, a project on the Tides Canada shared platform, is a unique community organization in the inner suburban neighbourhood of Kingston Galloway/Orton Park. The Storefront uses a Connected Communities Approach to community development; this means that at The Storefront our main focus is to leverage the power of collaboration to support people and build community. Storefront staff act as a bridge, catalyst and facilitator between and among community members, services and resources.
The Coordinator, Workforce Development Strategies will play a key role in Storefront’s Community Wealth Strategy by working with colleagues and partners to implement place- based workforce development strategies that link local residents to employment in local sectors with local employers. The work includes coordinating outreach to residents and ensuring effective and efficient pathways to training, employment or wrap-around supports; developing and managing partnerships; managing data; and developing knowledge about emerging local employment sectors in East Scarborough.
Local Workforce Development Strategy and Partner Development:
- Work with colleagues and key partners to understand local employment and procurement needs, and employment aspirations and skills of local residents
- Articulate the Storefront’s Community Wealth strategy to various stakeholders and build awareness of the benefits of local hiring, procurement and workforce development
- Work with local large scale employers on local hiring strategies and eliminating barriers
- to community access to local jobs
- Develop partnerships and strategies with employment, social service and training agencies to ensure that there are effective pathways for residents to access training
- and supports directly related to jobs in local economic sectors
- Coordinate outreach to residents regarding opportunities in local economic sectors
- Assist in building relationships and trust between and among partners and cross sector players
- Maintain databases of local residents interested in particular employment sectors, and larger scale local employers and public institutions and their hiring needs
- Maintain a database of sector-relevant pre-employment, training and wrap around supports available in East Scarborough
- Work with partners to compile data and feedback on the success and challenges of the workforce development strategy, and assist in preparing reports to funders
Support Broader Storefront Initiatives:
- Reflect on and document the role workforce development plays at The Storefront
- Attend and play an active role in visioning, planning and evaluation of Storefront’s work
- Actively participate in training, meetings, staff development days and outreach activities
- Work with other team members to continually improve processes and practices
- Minimum 2 years of post-secondary education in a relevant field
- 3 years’ experience in job development/ building partnerships or networks/ community outreach and development, or equivalent relevant experience
- Familiarity with workforce development and labour market information
- A thorough understanding of community work and a demonstrated ability to apply an empathetic and holistic approach to working with community members and partners
- A collaborative approach to working with partners and colleagues
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a team
- Ability to think strategically and link individual actions to larger goals
- Demonstrated ability to work with people from various backgrounds and from various work cultures and contexts
- Diplomacy, tact, and ability to see and balance different perspectives
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to accurately manage details
- Comfort with group and workshop facilitation
- Strong computer proficiency; database skills are considered an asset
- Flexibility to perform a wide variety of tasks
Full time Monday to Friday, schedule to be determined, occasional evening and weekend work required.
Please submit your resume and cover letter in person or by mail by 5:00 pm Friday November 20, 2015. E-mailed or faxed applications will not be accepted.
East Scarborough Storefront
Attention: Hiring for Coordinator, Workforce Development Strategies
4040 Lawrence Ave East
Scarborough, ON M1E 2R2
Qualified candidates will be invited to a mandatory group screening interview on Friday November 27 at 10:30 am. Please indicate in your cover letter whether you have participated in a Storefront screening or interview in the past.
No phone calls please. Only candidates selected to advance in the hiring process will be contacted.
East Scarborough Storefront encourages applicants from all Human Rights protected groups and is committed to hiring staff members who reflect the diversity of East Scarborough.
As East Scarborough Storefront is a Project of Tides Canada (Tides), the successful candidate will be an employee of Tides. For more information about East Scarborough Storefront and Tides Canada, please visit http://www.thestorefront.org/ and http://tidescanada.org/projects/.