Deadline December 3, 2015
Our Vision: The best possible health and wellbeing for everyone living in Ontario.
Our Mission: We champion transformative change to improve the health and wellbeing of people and communities facing barriers to health.
We are seeking a communication professional who combines a strategic approach and with strong hands-on capabilities.
There are three main areas of responsibility for this role:
- Creating communication content and platforms to enhance engagement with our members.
- Ensuring effective release of AOHC messaging to decision makers, opinion leaders and the media in order to advance the associations’ strategic directions.
- Communication support to other teams.
The Communications Lead reports to the Director of Communications and works closely with AOHC’s Communication Coordinator, as well as other staff who support the Association’s research, government and stakeholder relations and information management strategy.
The ideal candidate will have a proven track record managing online communications, with a strong understanding of how they can be optimally applied to support advocacy initiatives and member engagement. The ideal candidate will also have strong project management skills to ensure a smooth workflow within a very busy workplace that has multiple communication initiatives on the go.
Communications with Members
- Leads implementation of a wide range of communication and marketing initiatives to support strong member engagement;
- Writes/edits communication content for a range of audiences within AOHC’s membership;
- Leads ongoing development of AOHC’s member portal and ensures effective use;
- Serves as managing editor of the annual report, as well other general materials related to AOHC;
- Supports programming and production of the Annual General Meeting;
- Develops and oversees AOHC’s member recognition program.
Communication with External Audiences
- Acts as the steward and editor for the AOHC public website:
- Adapts AOHC content for online posting;
- Leads other website super users in establishing a website style guide, principles, protocols and policies so that a consistent approach is taken to content and maintaining the integrity of the website;
- Social Media:
- Accountable for AOHC’s social media tools and sites, their look and feel and content. Explores emerging tools of interest, implementing new approaches as appropriate;
- Coordinates with colleagues in their use of social media and acts as a resource to other teams to ensure they are using tools appropriately and effectively. This includes but is not limited to Facebook, Twitter and YouTube;
- Builds an online community and creates strategic online content that engages our current supporters and inspires new people to join and take action;
- Develops materials for media relations and develops relations with key journalists and editors to increase coverage of AOHC initiatives, as well as the initiatives of our members;
- Leads marketing efforts for events designed to support AOHC’s policy and advocacy agenda.
Communication Support to Other Teams
- Works with the Communication Director and Coordinator to ensure appropriate style guides and protocols are in place to ensure high quality and consistent communication practices;
- Provides advice to other teams to ensure their communication materials adhere to organizational requirements and are accurate and professional.
- An undergraduate degree in Journalism/ Communications/ Public Relations;
- Minimum of seven (7) years of experience in a communication setting;
- Proven track record managing and implementing online communications;
- The successful candidate will work out of the AOHC office in Toronto, Ontario.
- Strong project management skills: ability to manage multiple projects and address fluctuating priorities and tight deadlines;
- Strong writing, editing, proofreading, layout and design, professional printing/publishing skills are essential, including ability to present concepts verbally;
- Demonstrated ability to clearly communicate design and content needs to graphic designers and freelancers;
- Flexibility: ability to develop innovative approaches and advance communication goals and objectives based on external changes and new information;
- AOHC employs Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop), and numerous online tools. Ability to direct layout and design and pinch hit if necessary;
- Capability to work with Drupal based website;
- General understanding of Ontario’s Health Care system;
- Strong team-building skills, both between and within functional teams;
- Enthusiasm and initiative: ability to function effectively within a fast-paced atmosphere;
- Ability to conduct work in keeping with AOHC’s commitment to Anti-Oppression, Cultural Competency and as per the Ontario Government Employment and Safety legislation;
- Bilingualism in English and French a strong asset.
Compensation: AOHC offers competitive salaries and an excellent benefits package, including pension with HOOPP. Salary is commensurate on qualifications, experience and is set within the AOHC’s established salary grid and policy guidelines.
Application Deadline: December 3, 2015 at 3:00pm (EST)
Please e-mail your cover letter and resume in confidence to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please have “Communications Lead ID 410-112015-037” in the subject line of your email.
We thank all applicants in advance however, only those under consideration will be contacted. The Association of Ontario Health Centres is an equal opportunity employer.
AOHC is an equity employer and encourages applications from aboriginal peoples, individuals from racialized and minoritized groups (e.g. diverse ethno-racial and francophone communities and people of all sexual orientations and genders) and persons with disabilities.