Deadline January 15, 2016
Équiterre is Quebec’s most important and influential environmental organization. With 140,000 followers, 14,000 members, 200 volunteers and a staff of 40, the non-profit presently has offices in Montreal and Quebec City.
The dedication and enthusiasm of the staff and volunteers make Équiterre a pleasant and stimulating workplace, which encourages autonomy, creativity and a high level of professionalism.
Director, Government Relations
Équiterre is looking for a director of government relations (GR) who will act as the main strategist and manage campaigns targeting the federal government or its agencies. The person will also manage the Ottawa office and initiate projects with Équiterre’s partners from English Canada. The person will contribute to policy campaigns targeting other jurisdictions.
- Elaborate strategies and intervene to influence federal policy as well as public servants and elected officials.
- Manage the Équiterre’s Ottawa office and represent the group at various events and functions.
- Prepare Équiterre’s GR and English Canada related annual action plan and ensure objectives are met.
- Develop new projects and initiatives.
- Validate documents written by other staff members, consultants or volunteers.
- Manage projects and ensure objectives are met.
- Act as a sounding board for and provide counsel to the executive director and other Équiterre decision makers.
- Ensure good relations and dialogue with a range of stakeholders: elected officials, public servants, environmental groups, unions, businesses, etc.
- Ensure good relations with certain media based in Ottawa and elsewhere in English Canada.
- Recruit and manage volunteers, interns and eventually, employees.
- Plan and manage a budget related to the director’s functions, the Ottawa office and the projects.
- Participate in Équiterre’s various committees and meetings including the management committee, the annual members’ meeting, board meetings and annual retreats.
- Assume all other responsibilities assigned by the executive director.
- Masters degree or equivalent in political science, law, public administration or other relevant field.
- 10 years of related work experience including 5 in a similar position.
- Management experience, ideally in a non-profit.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
- Capacity to speak and write in French.
- Ability to relate easily to diverse individuals and groups, form and lead coalitions, and foster consensus.
- Knowledge of basic office and Internet software, platforms and applications.
- Alignment with Équiterre’s mission, vision and values.
This is a permanent full time position. Salary is determined with respect to work experience.
Other working conditions:
- 4 day work week (36 hours a week)
- 5 weeks of annual vacation + 2 weeks off for Christmas holidays
- Health insurance
- Flexible working hours
- Positive work environment with motivated staff and productive work ethic
Please send your resume with a short letter of motivation as well as a short text presenting one or two hurdles and opportunities Équiterre will face by opening an office in Ottawa. Applications must be received before midnight January 15th, 2016, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Specify “Director, Government Relations” in the object of the email.
We thank you for your interest, but only the candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.