Deadline January 4, 2016
Title: Social Worker*
Reports to: Manager, Primary Heath Care
Position Type: Permanent, Part-Time (21 hours per week, 0.6 FTE)
Start Date: February 2016
Wages: $32,826 - $39,549 per year (this reflects 21 hours per week)
Internal/External Competition: WSW-2015
Posting Date: Wednesday, December 9, 2015
Closing Date: Wednesday, January 4, 2016
The Social Worker works with individuals, couples and families to meet their psychosocial needs. The Social Worker performs needs and risk assessments taking into consideration family dynamics, the impact of trauma, social work theories and best practices. They work as part of the interdisciplinary collaborative team to support clients and to address issues in the community that affect mental health through individual and group counseling, case management, and case conferencing.
*This position description is currently under review to incorporate core competencies. Final position description will be provided to the successful candidate when available.
Key Responsibilities/ Detailed Responsibilities
- Completes social histories and assessments to identify social/emotional problems and needs; formulates and implements counseling and interventions which promote optimum social functioning. Therapy provided may be individuals, couples, families or groups, and may include occasional home visits.
- Provides referral services to clients and families so they may obtain services from community resources. This includes facilitation activities such as providing information, referral and advocacy, and ensuring successful connection /access as appropriate.
- Liaises and consults with social and health services in the community in regard to: clients, the Community Health Centre, and the role of the CHC Social Worker.
- Provides consultation to other KCHC staff on the psychosocial aspects of clients' functioning.
- Provides emergency/crisis support and/or referrals as needed.
- Maintains case records, using the electronic medical records established by KCHC that will provide information to assist other practitioners in continuing client care.
- Engages in health promotion and education activities including the development of resource materials, forms and handouts as needed.
- Facilitates and/or co-facilitates KCHC group programs and community education presentations.
- Provides education/training and clinical consultation within an interdisciplinary team. Particularly with respect to best practice guidelines
- Complies with all relevant legislation and KCHC policies, including privacy laws
- Supports consistent application of KCHC policies and procedures
- Supports program policy and procedure development
- Supports KCHC’s student and volunteer placement programs
- Promotes awareness of and participation in KCHC activities
Basic Education and Experience Requirements
- Masters of Social Work or relevant Masters from a recognized university
- A good standing, active registration with the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers.
- At least three years recent experience in the health/social services field and community-based service delivery and demonstrated ability to exercise individual professional judgment. Experience working with clients with a history of trauma preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work with clients on an individual, couple, family and/ or group settings.
- Demonstrated experience with brief solution focused counselling and single session therapy.
- Experience with cognitive behavioural therapy and mindfulness preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and a commitment to being a “team player” within an interdisciplinary collaborative health care team setting.
- Core Competencies: Accountability, Client Focus, Collaboration, Continuous Learning
- Position Competencies: Communication, Counselling, Facilitating Groups, Professional/Knowledge Expertise, Relationship Building, Teamwork
- Demonstrated commitment to quality improvement.
- Strong organizational skills and good attention to detail.
- French language is an asset
- Ability to work outside normal business hours if required.
- Current and satisfactory Criminal and Vulnerable Persons Check
Please include a cover letter clearly outlining how your skills and experiences correspond with the specific job qualifications along with your resume.
Save all documents as a single file using your own name (Last, First). A PDF format is preferred.
Email to email@example.com citing reference “WSW-2015” in the subject line.
Applications must be received by the Human Resources Manager by 4:00 pm, Wednesday, January 4, 2016
All KCHC staff have a duty to understand and follow KCHC policies, uphold high ethical and professional standards, and maintain confidentiality and privacy, using tact and good judgment in all dealings with other staff and clients.
KCHC is an equal opportunity employer, respecting and embracing the needs and diversity of our employees. If you require an accommodation to fully participate in the hiring process, please notify Human Resources.
Kingston Community Health Centres, 263 Weller Ave. Kingston ON, K7K 2V4