Deadline February 4, 2016
Permanent Part-Time: 7 hrs/weekly; then increasing in April to 14 hrs/wk. for 12 month coverage for maternity leave.
Davenport-Perth Neighbourhood and Community Health Centre (DPNCHC), http://www.dpnchc.ca, is looking for a Seniors’ Group Fitness Instructor will plan, develop, implement, promote and assess group exercise classes at seniors’ residences and community agencies in Toronto. They will work with DPNCHC staff, residence staff and other community-based agencies to collectively address seniors’ fitness issues in order to improve the independence, safety awareness, and health and well-being of seniors, through fun, physical activity – within the context of DPNCHC’s philosophy, mission statement and approach to service delivery. This program is funded by the Ontario Ministry of Health through the Toronto Central Local Health Integration Network Falls Prevention Initiative.
- Teach group fitness classes to seniors 65+;
- Work cooperatively with DPNCHC staff, residence staff and community-based agencies related to our seniors’ fitness classes;
- Plan, develop, and implement progressive fitness classes;
- Individual fitness assessments of participants at start-up and once yearly;
- Collect attendance, participant information (forms) and maintain statistics, assessment data and incident reports;
- Assist the Seniors’ Fitness Supervisor with outreach, when needed;
- Ensure timely preparation of information, statistics and timesheets for the Seniors’ Fitness Supervisor;
- Provide information and referrals regarding senior’s fitness, when appropriate.
- Seniors Group Fitness Instructor training with the Canadian Centre for Activity & Aging (CCAA) or CanFitPro is a requirement;
- 1.5 years minimum experience providing group fitness classes to culturally diverse seniors who are marginalized/isolated and require fitness support is required;
- Current CPR and First Aid certificates;
- Demonstrated group facilitation skills;
- Excellent fluency in English – verbal and written language;
- Basic computer literacy (WORD, Excel, and email);
- A valid driver’s license and use of a vehicle is required for this position;
- Fluency in a second language – particularly Portuguese, is an asset;
- Knowledge of services and community organizations for seniors is an asset.
Start Date: mid-February 2016. Must be able to work on Tuesdays & Thursdays, initially, then 5 days a week from April onwards.
Salary range: $19.995-$21.814 per hour plus statutory benefits. This position is part of the bargaining unit.
Submit resume and cover letter to: Posting No. 2016-001 at email@example.com or mail to 1900 Davenport Rd, Toronto, ON M6N 1B7 by due date of 5:00 pm, February 4th, 2016.