April 5 to 7, 2016
At the 2015 National Poverty Reduction Summit in Ottawa, Ontario, Calgary Mayor, Naheed Nenshi called on cities to take leadership around ending poverty and “to push our conversation further: into our communities, the minds of our decision-makers, our business leaders, and others, and start creating partnerships together”.
Acting on this call to action, Vibrant Communities Canada, in partnership with the Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM) and the City of Edmonton, invite you, your colleagues, and network partners to be among the 300 people attending Cities Reducing Poverty: When Mayors Lead.
Together we will:
- Deepen our understanding of poverty in communities and its impact on our cities’ economic and social prosperity;
- Share and learn about successful strategies and proven solutions tested by extraordinary innovators (including the launch of a key paper on the work of cities reducing poverty);
- Develop and advance best practices to strengthen policies, systems, and collective actions to reduce poverty across the country;
- Advance our understanding about what is being done to address the impacts of poverty on Aboriginal people; and,
- Inspire one another with an in-depth and interactive experience of Edmonton's poverty reduction strategy which includes a full-afternoon tour in the downtown core, followed by a Reception at City Hall.
Who you can expect to meet:
Our attendee list already includes mayors, city councillors, inspiring thought leaders, community leaders and poverty reduction advocates who are interested in learning about best practices in community-based poverty reduction and how to coordinate our collective efforts to reduce poverty throughout Canada.
Visit our website to see who else is coming and to learn more about the gathering: http://events.tamarackcommunity.ca/cities-summit2016.
If you have any questions, please reach out to our event registrar Natasha Pei at [email protected].
As you well know, poverty is a complex yet solvable problem. Together, we have the wisdom and the experience to be a national, dynamic force for change. Join us for this historical dialogue. Let’s work and learn together in order to influence how our governments and communities can turn the table on poverty and support our nation's most vulnerable people.
Seats will go fast. We want to keep this small - so I encourage you to act soon to ensure your place at this important event is secured!
Register online at http://events.tamarackcommunity.ca/cities-summit2016-registration-info.