Deadline February 29, 2016
Status: Temporary Full Time (April 2016 to approximately March 31, 2017)
Employee Group: CUPE Local 4700
Salary: $39.70; less $1 for first six months
Department: Health & Social Services
Division: Haldimand-Norfolk Health Unit
Reports To: Program Manager, Community Health Team
Location: 12 Gilbertson Drive, Simcoe
Posting Period: February 17, 2016 – February 29, 2016
Assess, promote, protect and enhance health and prevention of disease. Use population-health approaches, based on health promotion theories and evidence. Plan, implement, and evaluate health promotion strategies, with a focus on the interactions among the determinants of health, food security, and nutritional and overall health (Ref: Strengthening PH Nutrition Practice in Canada). To meet professional practice standards as defined by the College of Dietitians of Ontario and to meet and adhere to the Public Health Core Competencies as defined by the Public Health Agency of Canada.
Knowledge & Skill:
- Accredited four (4) year or equivalent degree with courses in sciences and human nutrition, administration and humanities.
- Accredited dietetic internship or equivalent practical training.
- Current Certificate of Annual Registration with the College of Dietitians of Ontario.
- Minimum two years’ experience to be familiar with scope of position, or previous related experience. Public health nutrition experience preferred.
- Proficient oral and written communication skills required.
- Valid Ontario driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle as travel required within Haldimand and Norfolk Counties.
- Computer expertise in corporate standard software (Microsoft Office) and department specific software to data search and entry and to create and modify word processed documents.
- Must be aware of safe work practices as they relate to job responsibilities and work environment, and have the basic understanding of the Occupational Health & Safety Act.
- Conduct situational assessments including, analysis of data, evidence and environmental scan findings.
- Develop, implement, evaluate and oversee evidence-based health promotion programs/plans which meet Ontario Public Health standards and requirements. (Ref: Integrated Competencies for Dietetic Education & Practice, v2)
- Demonstrates knowledge and skills necessary for health promotion practice in the areas of public health nutrition, food security, population-health promotion, determinants of health and health equity.
- Research, interpret and convey current scientific information regarding food, nutrition, and health to education, health and social services professionals, health unit staff and general public.
- Participate as a member of an interdisciplinary team within the Health Unit, and maintain and establish linkages in the community as appropriate.
- Maintain a nutrition activity recording system which includes public information requests and professional consultations.
- Contribute to health-related policy development and advocacy that reflects community needs on nutrition and food security issues.
- Review, develop, and/or acquire health promotion resources.
- Participate as a member of an interdisciplinary team within the Health Unit.
- Facilitate community mobilization and build community capacity around shared nutrition and food security priorities.
The Corporation of Norfolk County is an equal opportunity employer. Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
Applications must be submitted through email, mail, fax, courier, or in person to Human Resources & Staff Development by 4:30 p.m. on the last day of the posting.
Human Resources & Staff Development – 185 Robinson Street, Suite 300, Simcoe ON N3Y 5L6 - Phone: 519-426-5870 - Fax: 519-427-5902 - Email: email@example.com
Successful applicants are required to provide the Employer with a current Criminal Reference Check.
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those to be interviewed will be contacted.