Deadline May 17, 2016
Vacancy/Poste Vacant: Senior Health Promotion Specialist, Tobacco Control
Reports To/Supérieur Hiérarchique: Team Lead, PTCC
Location/Emplacement: Toronto, Ontario
Status/Situation: Permanent Full-Time
No. Of Vacancies/Nombre De Postes Vacants: 1 Hire
Cancer Care Ontario (CCO) -- an Ontario government agency -- drives quality and continuous improvement in disease prevention and screening, the delivery of care and the patient experience, for cancer, chronic kidney disease and access to care for key health services.
Known for its innovation and results driven approaches, CCO leads multi-year system planning, contracts for services with hospitals and providers, develops and deploys information systems, establishes guidelines and standards and tracks performance targets to ensure system-wide improvements in cancer, chronic kidney disease and access to care.
Our employees are our greatest asset. They bring our vision to life, embody our culture, represent what we stand for and most importantly, are the face of CCO.
We are committed to creating an environment where you are inspired to do your best work, feel valued for the work you do, and have an opportunity to make a difference. To enable a culture that fosters a sense of community where we work together and support each other for a better future, we embody the following People Values:
- We are rooted in integrity
- We are driven by accountability
- We are empowered by our partnerships
- We are unified in our purpose
Our People Values are essentially how we do our work and how we treat each other. As a people-centered organization, we are looking for employees who model our values so that together, we can create the best health systems in the world.
Position Summary/Résumé Du Poste:
The Program Training and Consultation Centre (https://www.ptcc-cfc.on.ca) is a resource centre of the Smoke-Free Ontario Strategy and is funded by Public Health Ontario. The program is led and administered through the Prevention & Surveillance Department at Cancer Care Ontario.
The Program Training and Consultation Centre builds the capacities of public health intermediaries working within Ontario’s 36 public health departments to plan and implement evidence-based tobacco control programs. The centre provides a range of capacity building supports including training programs, technical assistance/ consultation services and knowledge exchange initiatives.
PTCC is looking for an experienced health promotion specialist (Senior Specialist) with a specific focus on tobacco control. This role will act as the subject matter expert to provide on-the-ground assistance to public health intermediaries and community partners through the provision of technical assistance, training and by supporting knowledge exchange in all areas of comprehensive tobacco control.
Please see our website for more details: https://www.ptcc-cfc.on.ca
The key responsibilities of this position are/Les principales responsabilités de ce poste sont:
Provide specific expertise in the area of tobacco control
- Provide ongoing proactive and reactive technical assistance (consultations) to the staff of local public health departments, Tobacco Control Area Networks and their community partners working in comprehensive tobacco control.
- Liaise and build relationships with public health tobacco control practitioners to identify and assess needs for training and technical assistance.
- Plan, coordinate and deliver capacity building activities (technical assistance) to the staff of a select group of local public health departments working in comprehensive tobacco control
- Provide information and support resource dissemination, referrals, and ongoing knowledge exchange with Public Health Unit staff and other key stakeholders.
- Provide expertise in tobacco control and core skill areas, including protection from second-hand smoke, prevention of tobacco use, cessation, program and policy development, monitoring, program planning, evaluation and reporting.
- Work with partners and stakeholders, and participate in the identification and dissemination of evidence-informed practices in tobacco control.
Contribute to the development and delivery of training sessions
- Develop and deliver information and training sessions for clients on various tobacco control topics.
- Support the development and delivery of PTCC’s core tobacco control training curricula.
- Work with regional Tobacco Control Area Networks and associated workgroups to support the development of regional training and knowledge exchange initiatives.
Conduct literature searches and develop evidence summaries
- Conduct searches of the peer reviewed and grey literature and develop evidence summaries and backgrounders.
- Develop informational resources such as fact sheets, presentations, briefing notes and other material.
- Contribute to the maintenance of PTCC’s internal knowledge repository.
Coordinate and participate in planning activities and promotion of the Program Training and Consultation Centre
- Participate in program operational planning.
- Develop strategies to communicate PTCC’s services to potential and existing stakeholders.
- Participate in on-going monitoring and evaluation to assess the implementation and outcomes of PTCC programs.
- Collaborate with project teams, working groups, partners and colleagues to implement and monitor the outcomes of capacity building activities.
Performs cross-functional and/or other duties consistent with the job classification, as assigned or requested.
- Participate on committees and working groups, as appropriate.
- Frequent travel throughout the province is required (includes overnight travel).
- Completion of a graduate degree program in health promotion, public health, psychology or a related area or recognized equivalent required (Bachelor’s degree acceptable with tobacco control practical experience)
- At least three years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience; practical and related experience required in tobacco control
Other Relevant Knowledge
- Knowledge through practical experience working in tobacco control
- Expertise in tobacco control and core skill areas, including cessation, protection from second-hand smoke, prevention of tobacco use, program and policy development, monitoring, program planning, evaluation and reporting.
- Knowledge of health promotion and education and public health theory and practice
- Experience working in public health in Ontario
- Experience with program planning, project management and program evaluation
- Experience with group facilitation and/or training
- Knowledge of adult learning principles
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Experience working with diverse stakeholders
- Experience in community organizing
- Experience working in with rural and northern communities considered an asset
- Fluency in French is an asset
- Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a team and independently, using sound judgement.
- Strong critical and analytical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office software
Closing Date/Date Limite: May 17, 2016
Please Apply Via the Cancer Care Ontario Careers Website at the following link: https://www.recruitingsite.com/csbsites/cancercare_ontario/JobDescriptio....