Deadline August 16, 2016
Job ID 16-0257
Public Health Ontario (PHO) is a Crown corporation dedicated to protecting and promoting the health of all Ontarians and reducing inequities in health. As a hub organization, PHO links public health practitioners, front-line health workers and researchers to the best scientific intelligence and knowledge from around the world.
PHO provides expert scientific and technical support relating to infection prevention and control; surveillance and epidemiology; health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention; environmental and occupational health; health emergency preparedness; and public health laboratory services to support health providers, the public health system and partner ministries in making informed decisions and taking informed action to improve the health and security of Ontarians.
For more information about PHO, visit http://www.publichealthontario.ca
Position Title: Manager, Epidemiology and Evaluation Services
Department: Health Promotion, Chronic Disease and Injury Prevention
Location: 480 University Ave
Position Status: Open
Hours of Work: 36.25 per week
Posting Date: August 2, 2016
Closing Date: August 16, 2016
To manage the planning, development and implementation of a high quality (rigorous, relevant, responsive, partner‐centric) Health Promotion, Chronic Disease and Injury Prevention epidemiology and evaluation service.
Qualified internal applicant(s) will be considered first.
- Manages and provides oversight to the scoping, planning, design, development, execution, and evaluation of evaluation studies, including the production of related evaluability assessments, program logic models, evaluation plans, data collection instruments, data analysis plans, written reports, manuscripts, commentaries, etc.
- Manages and provides oversight to the scoping, planning, design, development, execution, and evaluation of epidemiological studies related to HPCDIP content including the production of data collection and analysis plans, written reports, manuscripts, commentaries, etc.
- Manages and provides oversight to the work of research assistants, research coordinators, project coordinators, evaluation specialists, health analysts, epidemiologists, epidemiologist lead, administrative staff and students as it relates to evaluation services.
- Provides operational oversight of the implementation of epidemiology and evaluation projects under the work direction of the Chief/Director and working closely with HPCDIP Scientists, PH Physicians, and Managers, in the context of matrixed project management.
- Effectively manages relationships with government Ministries and other evaluation services requestors and stakeholders, including data holding organizations, in conjunction with the Chief/Director, and others.
- Monitors project expenditures, maintains accounts, and liaises with Finance to prepare fiscal year operating budgets.
- Manages the coordination and negotiation of legal agreements including funding contracts with service requestors, collaboration agreements, research services vendors, and other contracts as required to operationalize evaluation projects.
- Manages and provides oversight to the completion and successful submission of various approvals related to research, ethics and privacy reviews. Provides oversight and input to third party grant funded research applications, as necessary.
- Coordinates and prepares all necessary regulatory reports relative to epidemiology and evaluation services including quarterly monitoring of the operational plan, mid‐year review of the ABP and input into the balanced score card.
- Supervises staff providing support for the work of expert advisory panels and other project‐specific committees as needed; provides project management support as requested and ensures timelines are met, resolving any issues that may delay the project.
- Provides oversight for management of epidemiology and evaluation services documents and processes on SharePoint to ensure systems are set up to orderly archive and access relevant materials.
- Manages staff, congruent with PHO internal policies and procedures, professional standards, Collective Agreement requirements and other relevant standards, legislation or regulations, including: providing direction and leadership in the implementation of new techniques and standards; assigning staff and implementing work/vacation schedules, setting clear responsibilities and objectives, evaluating performance, advising on training needs, participating on recruiting/selection of staff, dealing with disciplinary issues and responding to grievances in conjunction with PHO Human Resources management programs; builds and leads a team of multi‐disciplinary staff who support PHO’s activities.
- Works closely with the Management, to coordinate operations in related areas of research, professional development and knowledge exchange; and with the Chief/Director, and Director, Planning and Implementation to develop coherent and integrated business and operating plans.
- Participates in surveillance, research, emergency management and response activities lead by PHO and supports the PHO in the provision of response in an emergency, pursuant to responsibilities as delegated in an emergency response plan.
- Keeps abreast of the latest research and developments in area of specialty within PHO and at other institutions.
- Works closely with the Management on departmental‐wide initiatives, including senior leadership team meetings.
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of quantitative and qualitative research methodologies and related software applications (SPSS, SAS, NVivo), in order to apply such methodologies to the collection and analysis of new data, and the review and analysis of existing data, research studies and evaluation reports.
- Skill and expertise in epidemiology and applied research methods, including evaluation protocol development and tool design to conduct data collection, analysis and interpretation and to identify issues requiring further investigation.
- Skill and expertise in conducting literature reviews, syntheses of various types, and critical appraisals.
- Project management, research, analytical skills in order to lead the implementation of evaluation projects, monitor project expenditures, and prepare operating budgets.
- Planning, organizing, project management skills and initiative in order to work efficiently under conditions of multiple deadlines and changing priorities with meticulous attention to detail.
- Understanding of business and operational planning processes, in order to contribute to Agency corporate business and operational planning processes.
- Office computer and data management skills with proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project 2003); familiarity with SharePoint to manage documents and processes on SharePoint, and ensure that systems are set up to orderly archive and access relevant materials.
Education and Experience
- Masters degree in public health, social sciences, health and physical education, epidemiology or related discipline.
- A minimum of five years of management experience in a specialized/complex environment, ideally within a public health, academic or research environment to manage the strategic planning, development and implementation of a high quality evaluation services.
- Credentialed Evaluator status with the Canadian Evaluation Society (or ability to meet all eligibility requirements for Credentialed Evaluator status).
- Minimum of 10 years of experience supporting research or evaluation at an academic department, research institute or organization to manage the planning, design, development, execution, and evaluation of epidemiology and evaluation studies, including the production of related evaluability assessments, program logic models, evaluation plans, data collection instruments, data analysis plans, written reports, manuscripts, commentaries, etc.