Deadline September 9, 2016
The Corporation of Norfolk County
Job Posting # NU 12.16
Position: Director, Public Health
Status: Permanent Full Time
Employee Group: Non-Union
Salary: $94,577 - $118,222 per annum
Department: Health & Social Services
Division: Haldimand-Norfolk Health Unit
Reports To: General Manager, Health and Social Services
Posting Period: August 12, 2016 – September 9, 2016
Scope of Position:
Accountable for the overall management and leadership of the daily operations of the Public Health Unit, setting priorities based on the community’s health needs, and ensuring long and short term planning goals and objectives are met by using resources efficiently.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated the following personal attributes: personal accountability, leadership, self-management, employee development/coaching, conceptual thinking, diplomacy and tact, planning and organizing, problem solving ability, interpersonal skills and decision making.
- Embrace and work within a shared leadership model with the Medical Officer of Health.
- Overall management and leadership of the Haldimand-Norfolk Health Unit within the Health and Social Services Department in conjunction with the Medical Officer of Health and General Manager
- Provide direction and leadership regarding appropriate human, financial, physical and information resources within the Health Unit
- Actively participate in Health and Social Services Manager’s meetings
- Participate in the overall Health and Social Services Department and Norfolk County risk management.
- Participates in planning, developing and implementing and evaluating an emergency response plan for Public Health
- Participates in emergency response training and is a member of the community response team related to Public Health.
- Participates in planning, developing and implementing and evaluation outbreak response protocol in the event of a communicable disease outbreak.
- Provide oversight of outbreaks and emergencies where hazards or potential hazards exist.
- Ensure all relevant legislative requirements governing the Public Health Division are met.
- Maximize effectiveness, efficiency, compliance and quality while working within ministry and municipal budgets, ensuring federal, provincial and municipal mandates are met
- Ensure compliance with privacy and confidentiality legislation.
- Meet performance expectations and assumes responsibility for mandates.
- Recruit and manage an effective team to meet the mandate of the Health unit while fostering a continuous learning culture within a unionized environment.
- Manage human resource initiatives such as recruitment and selection of staff
- Coach new Program Managers, administration and non-union staff
- Foster a learning environment to assist staff in reaching their full potential
- Monitor performance and conduct performance appraisals on staff reporting to the position
- Participate in labour relations related to departmental issues and development.
- Ensure there is a planning framework based on best practice that ensures the effective and efficient use of resources while addressing the needs of the community within the public health mandate.
- Develop and implement strategic planning including, vision, mission statement, goals and objectives for the Haldimand-Norfolk Health Unit
- Stay current on trends, current issues and anticipate emerging changes and issues.
- Oversight of the development, monitoring and evaluation of programs and services provided by the Health Unit.
- Develop and monitor short-term planning framework (operational planning) to ensure priorities are identified and set for the Health Unit in relation to the Ontario Public Health Standards and relevant legislation
- Develop, implement and evaluate policies and procedures and ensures consistency with public health and the scope of each respective professional disciplines.
- Acts as a consultant in a shared leadership with the Medical Officer of Health to the General Manager and the Board of Health on issues specific to public health. Assess needs of community, identification of gaps as related to Health Unit mandate.
- Assumes accountability for identifying problems and issues, generating solutions an anticipating the effects of those decisions.
- Adapts effectively to changes and act as a change catalyst
- Ensure the mandate of the Health Unit is fulfilled within the approved budget.
- Oversee the development and monitoring of Operational and Capital Budgets for the Division
- Ensure proper accountability to Board of Health through compliance with corporate and statutory requirements.
- Build effective relationships within Haldimand and Norfolk counties to foster trust and the opportunity for collaboration, communication and integration.
- Promote and maintain public image, as well as participate in community initiatives maintaining excellent relationships with community partners
- Write and review reports, grant applications, media articles and promotional materials
- Media spokesperson, liaise with Ministry and other Health Units
- Attend and present at Advisory Committee and Board of Health
Knowledge & Skill:
- University Degree in health sciences, relevant discipline business/public administration or equivalent.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have a Master’s in Public Administration, Business Management, or Health Administration
- Five to seven (5-7) years of progressive management experience preferably in a public sector environment and in the Public Health field
- Knowledge of numerous pieces of legislation, including the Health Protection & Promotion Act, Day Nurseries Act, Food Safety Act, Consent to Treatment Act, Substitute Decisions Act and Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
- Experience in strategic planning, budget preparation, labour relations and negotiations, and program planning and evaluation.
- Demonstrated experience as a leader who is a visionary and a trusted role model who inspires and challenges others to achieve their full potential.
- A track record of developing credibility and earning the respect of internal and external stakeholders. A strong communicator who can present well in front of governing bodies, the general public and the media.
- Demonstrated success in developing strong relationships with municipal, provincial and federal governments, industry associations and other organizations.
- Ability to translate strategic vision into practical action.
- Good background/proficiency with computerized information systems and typical office automation systems (i.e. Microsoft Office).
- Familiarity with Information Management System (IMS).
- Must be aware of safe work practices as they relate to job responsibilities and work environment, and have the basic understanding of the Occupational Health & Safety Act
The Corporation of Norfolk County is an equal opportunity employer. Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
To confidentially explore this opportunity further, please submit a resume, and complete an assessment as outlined in the online instructions at www.talentmanagementplus.com using job code: 5192MTGRV. Please allow 30 – 50 minutes to complete the assessment process. If you are including a cover letter with your resume please ensure it is included along with the resume and attached as one document. The deadline for completion of the application process is 4:30pm on September 9, 2016.
Successful applicants are required to provide the Employer with a current Criminal Record Check including a Vulnerable Sector where required.
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those to be interviewed will be contacted.