Deadline September 15, 2016
Focus on Newcomer Youth
Part-time Position Available (6-month contract with possibility of renewal)
Hamilton Urban Core Community Health Centre is a thriving inner city health centre and a leader in the provision of high-quality primary health services and health promoting programs. Our comprehensive services are delivered through a dynamic team of multidisciplinary health providers. Our client populations include people who are homeless or at risk of being homeless, immigrants and refugees, individuals and families who are living in poverty, isolated seniors, people living with trauma, mental illness or mental health issues and street involved youth.
We are currently looking for an engaging and empathetic part-time Mental Health / Trauma Counselor to complement our team. The Mental Health / Trauma Counselor will work with Newcomer Youth with a particular focus on Syrian refugee children and youth. Experienced in working with immigrant, refugee and racialized youth populations, the Counselor will provide culturally safe counseling support, psycho-social interventions, programs and group services.
The successful candidate should meet the following qualifications:
- Proficient in comprehensive screening and assessment practices using established standardized measures and approaches
- Knowledge of and experience with trauma and trauma-informed approaches
- Demonstrated knowledge of relevant counseling and assessment techniques
- Well-developed interpersonal, counseling, oral and written communications skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of culturally safe therapeutic options for children and youth who are living with trauma or poor mental health
- Direct experience working with refugee and racialized youth
- Direct service delivery experience in the community services sector with a working knowledge of community resources
- Commitment to the anti-racism, anti-oppression and equity principles at Hamilton Urban Core
- Working knowledge of computers and relevant software
- Relevant education and experience
Interested individuals should forward a resume and covering letter by September 15, 2016 to:
The Hiring Committee
Mental Health / Trauma Counselor – Focus on Youth
Hamilton Urban Core Community Health Centre
71 Rebecca Street, Hamilton, ON L8R 1B6
Fax: (905) 522-5374 E-mail: email@example.com
Hamilton Urban Core is committed to equity in employment.