Deadline October 25, 2016
The Middlesex-London Health Unit has an exciting opportunity for a part-time Tobacco Enforcement Officer on the Chronic Disease Prevention and Tobacco Control Team, within the Healthy Living Division. The successful candidate for this position will conduct inspections of public places and workplaces to identify any infractions of the Smoke-Free Ontario Act, the Electronic Cigarettes Act, and City of London, County of Middlesex, and lower-tier municipalities’ tobacco-related bylaws. They will ensure compliance and issue orders and offence notices related to proper signage and discontinuation of smoking and e-cigarette use in public places and workplaces; liaise with municipalities concerning the Smoke-Free Ontario Act, the Electronic Cigarette Act, and municipal smoking and tobacco use by-laws; conduct inspections and provide education to tobacco and e-cigarette retailers, including conducting youth access checks with youth test shoppers; prepare documentation for court cases and attend court when required to provide testimony for offence notices issued; and respond to public and owner/operator complaints, inquiries and information requests.
- College Diploma in Police Foundations or in Law and Security Administration, or equivalent education and experience
- 1-2 years of enforcement experience or security training
- Qualified to become designated as a Provincial Offences Officer
- Experience applying various legal forms and procedures required to prosecute cases
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Valid Ontario Driver’s Licence and own transportation
- Flexible work hours required (including day, weekend, evening, and night shifts)
- The ability to communicate in French or other languages would be considered an asset
Please see http://www.healthunit.com for further information about our programs and services.
To apply to this position, please submit all applications electronically via our Career Opportunities page by October 25, 2016 quoting posting # CDPPTTEO-1016. Candidates will be required to undergo testing after the interview.
Information concerning applicants is collected under the authority of the Health Protection & Promotion Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. H-7, as amended, and will be used to consider suitability for employment. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. The Health Unit is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Accommodations are available, upon request, to support potential applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. Should you require accommodation, please indicate so on your cover letter.
The Mission of the Middlesex-London Health Unit is to promote and protect the health of our community.