Deadline December 23, 2016
Are you a results-oriented professional with an aptitude for critical and creative thinking and demonstrated strengths in written and verbal communication? If so, then the Ministry of Labour, Training and Awareness Branch has a career opportunity that you will want to explore.
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role, you will:
- Contribute to the development of program standards and policies relating to prevention based health and safety programs
- Conduct policy analysis to participate in and lead assigned policy research and analysis projects or studies
- Provide consultation and liaison services in support of legislation and policies
- Design and develop innovative strategic policy and funding options
- Make evidence-based recommendations to senior decision-makers
- Prepare reports, presentations, briefing notes and correspondence
- Support a team of experienced senior policy advisors and actively engage with internal colleagues and external partners
- Participate on working groups and ministry and inter-ministerial committees
How do I qualify?
Health and Safety Knowledge and Legislation:
- You have knowledge of and skills in occupational health and safety with a focus on prevention programs, theories, principles and practices of health and safety related legislation/regulations (i.e. OH&S Act, Workplace Safety Insurance Act, Criminal Code)
- You have knowledge of various policies and programs and new policy directions for coordinating policy/program development and program analysis processes to achieve the Prevention Office's Objectives
- You are experienced in regulatory and policy frameworks in other provinces, municipalities and other developed countries as they relate to Occupational Health & Safety
- You have knowledge of program and policy development principles, and government decision-making processes including central agencies and cabinet committees functions
- You have knowledge of the broad political, technical, economic, and social issues
- You have an understanding of Occupational Health and Safety service delivery in Ontario, the role of the Ministry and how the programs are executed
Policy Development, Research, Analytical and Problem-Solving Skills:
- You have experience identifying and describing root causes of system-level challenges in major service delivery structures
- You have experience designing evidence-based options for addressing complex issues
- You have demonstrated analytical abilities and an aptitude for synthesizing large amounts of complex data
- You have knowledge of research techniques to conduct technical examination for the evaluation of the program standards and policies including surveys, interviews and focus groups
Communication and Negotiation Skills:
- You are able to organize and express complex ideas in a way that makes it easy to understand and facilitate problem-solving and effective decision-making
- You have proven interpersonal skills and can develop beneficial partnerships with others
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- You have negotiation, conflict resolution techniques to identify issues, corroborate and substantiate opinions from internal and external stakeholders
Relationship and Project Management Skills:
- You have proven experience in effectively leading projects from concept to implementation
- You have demonstrated experience in establishing internal and external stakeholder consultation and engagement plans and strategies
- You have proficiency in MS Word and PowerPoint
- You have proficiency in conducting database and web-based literature and data searches
Salary Range: $59,655 - $83,402 per year
- 1 Temporary, duration up to 12 months, 10 Dundas St E, Toronto, Toronto Region
- 1 Permanent, 10 Dundas St E, Toronto, Toronto Region
Please apply online, only, by Friday, December 23, 2016, by visiting http://www.ontario.ca/careers and entering Job ID 101391 in the Job ID search field. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require a disability-related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.