Deadline March 8, 2017
Location: 10 Peel Centre Drive, Suite A, Brampton Ontario
Job Type: Regular Full-time
Our Health Services Department are looking for a Medical Officer of Health to provide strategic and operational leadership to a team of Public Health professionals to ensure the effective delivery of population health care programs to the residents of Peel.
The Public Health Division focuses on:
- Environmental health protection
- Chronic disease and injury prevention
- Family & child health
- Communicable diseases education and protection
- Healthy sexuality
- Health status monitoring and reporting
- Emergency preparedness
Are you an inspirational leader who promotes a culture of inclusion, high performance and commitment to quality?
Are you a visionary who uses research and evidence to inform public health decision and policy to continuously improve operational excellence and population health by delivering programs that are client focused, agile and outcome based?
Are you a change leader who is creative, innovative and customer focused with the ability to respond and adapt to the changing needs of a diverse community and workforce?
This may be an opportunity for you…
Reporting to the Commissioner, Health Services you will be responsible for providing Public Health programs and services to the residents of Peel. You will lead a team of Public Health professionals to protect the health interests of the public and ensure compliance to the Heath Protection & Promotion Act. The Medical Officer of Health has a dual reporting relationship and is accountable to the Board of Health on public health matters and to the Commissioner of Health on administrative matters. The Medical Officer of Health will work in close partnership with the Commissioner of Health to collaborate and co-ordinate Public Health’s activities in an effective and efficient manner, in alignment with corporate direction. The Medical Officer of Health is a member of the Health Services Department Leadership Team.
You will be accountable for…
- Providing leadership to management and staff within Public Health; building and sustaining an inclusive work environment and culture.
- Monitoring the health status of the Region and establish appropriate measurable goals and objectives with reflect the specific needs of the community.
- Leading the development of Public Health Master Strategic Plan and direction ensuring alignment with the Regional Strategic Plan.
- Acting as main spokesperson on public health issues and represents the Region in a credible manner. This includes presenting policy and strategic recommendations to Council/Board of Health; representing the Region’s position on Public Health issues to the public and media; responding key stakeholders within government, other municipal jurisdictions and the community on these issues and major decisions.
- Responding to health emergencies, crisis situations, and key issues of concern. Identifying appropriate actions to take and oversee implementation. This includes issuing public notices, press releases and warnings, and communicating with the public and media on the Region’s response to public health issues. Reporting and providing updates to Regional Council and other appropriate authorities on crisis/emergencies or situations of concern.
- With Directors, develop annual public health budget and allocates Council approved resources across Division. Identify opportunities for outside funding from external agencies and government bodies.
- A Medical Degree with a current license to practice medicine in the province of Ontario from the College of Physicians and Surgeons with a FRCP designation.
- A Masters in Health Sciences or Public Health, preferably with specialty qualifications in Public Health and Preventive Medicine.
- Five years’ experience in a senior position responsible for the development, implementation and evaluation of Public Health programs, and in health promotion and disease prevention.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, develop, implement and evaluate public health programs.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Effective interpersonal, oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with various groups and agencies.
- Effective research, analytical reasoning and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of current and emerging public health issues and related provincial and federal policies and practices.
- Demonstrated commitment to a team-based collaborative approach to providing progressive and innovative approaches to public health issues.
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online by end of day March 8, 2017: https://careers-peelregion.icims.com/jobs/6737/medical-officer-of-health....