Evidence-Based Addiction Treatment, Mission: Empowerment!
April 27- 28, 2017
This workshop will provide helping professionals with an up-to-date research-based perspective on the treatment of substance use disorders, based on 40 years of research in addiction treatment outcomes – some of them surprising. In addition to didactic presentations there will be opportunities for experiential practice and discussion. Building on a person-centered foundation, Dr. Miller will discuss evidence on controversial issues in the field including specific vs. general factors in treatment efficacy, matching clients to treatments, moderation goals, length and intensity of treatment, therapist effects, the “wait list” effect, and manual-guided treatment.
Topics Covered Include:
- How Effective is Addiction Treatment?
- The Case for Evidence-Based Treatment
- The Hazards of “Relapse” Thinking
- Expectancy and Therapist Effects: It Matters Who Treats you
- Is More Treatment Better?
- Rethinking “Intake”
- The waiting list effect
- A Community Reinforcement Approach (CRA) to addiction treatment
- Unilateral Family Intervention (CRAFT)
- Matching Clients to Treatments
- Manual Guided Treatment
- Practical Issues in Addiction Treatment
- Pharmacologic Adjuncts to Addiction Treatment
- If Bill Miller Were Designing a Treatment System
About the Presenter: William R. Miller, Ph.D., is Emeritus Distinguished Professor of Psychology and Psychiatry at the University of New Mexico.
- Early Registration Fee: $419 + HST before March 26
- Regular Registration Fee: $459 + HST
- *New* Day Pass Option (Thurs or Fri only): $225 + HST (early-bird)
- Group Rates Available
- Fee includes lunch, morning and afternoon refreshments.
For more information or to register, please visit http://www.missionempowerment.ca/evidence-based-addiction-treatment.html.