Team Lead, Program Training & Consultation Centre
[Deadline updated March 23. Location corrected March 17, 8:55 p.m.]
Deadline March 31, 2017
Want to make a difference in your career?
The Program Training and Consultation Centre (PTCC) is based at Cancer Care Ontario and partners with the Propel Centre for Population Health Impact at the University of Waterloo. The PTCC plays a leading role in providing training, technical assistance and knowledge exchange services in comprehensive tobacco control to local communities in Ontario. Funded by Public Health Ontario, the PTCC provides services to Ontario local public health departments, local tobacco-free coalitions, regional Tobacco Control Area Networks (TCANs), community health centres, voluntary organizations, and other health and human service providers that are active in comprehensive tobacco control.
The PTCC provides a range of evidence based services to build the capacity of Ontario communities to implement a comprehensive tobacco control program. These services include:
- Delivering training programs, workshops and webinars
- Delivering technical assistance through consultations
- Organizing tobacco control forums that bring together government decision-makers, researchers, tobacco control practitioners, and other tobacco control stakeholders
- Supporting the development and implementation of provincial communities of practice
- Conducting applied research activities in partnership with the Propel Centre for Population Health Impact at the University of Waterloo
Please see our website for more details: https://www.ptcc-cfc.on.ca
This position will oversee the training and knowledge exchange components of the PTCC program. It will manage the development and implementation of evidence-based training programs, provincial Communities of Practice, a provincial knowledge exchange forum, among other tobacco control capacity building initiatives. The position will be responsible for developing and managing an annual training cycle, conducting needs assessments, and managing training and knowledge exchange program development to best meet the needs of the tobacco control field. The content of training and knowledge exchange programs and services will align with the scientific and practice-based evidence, tobacco control policy priorities and respond to emerging issues in the field of tobacco control. The Team Lead is responsible for coordinating training and knowledge exchange activities with other PTCC programs and services and is expected to actively identify challenges and recognize new opportunities. The Team Lead for Training and Knowledge Exchange will report to the PTCC Manager, and will work closely with the other Team Lead, Planning and Technical Assistance and staff at PTCC to develop, coordinate and align project plans, and activities.
Here is what you will be doing: Leadership and supervision
- Leads the development and management of PTCC’s training programs (in-person workshops, webinar-based training and e-learning) and knowledge exchange programs (i.e., provincial communities of practice and knowledge exchange forums) and related areas.
- Participates in the planning, development and review of documentations of practice that are conducted by the Propel Centre for Population Health Impact.
- Supervises staff which includes, but is not limited to, orientation and in-service training, provision of on-going guidance and monitoring of staff activities, and management of workloads.
- Monitors team deliverables to ensure milestones are achieved and activities are on-budget
- Communicates effectively with external clients, and stakeholders
- Conduct staff performance reviews
- Actively participates in PTCC’s partnership coordination committee with the Propel Centre for Population Health Impact.
- Represents the PTCC on external committees.
- Engages external agencies and programs (resource centres, research agencies, government) in collaborative training and knowledge exchange program development as appropriate
- Actively contributes to the planning and implementation of large cross-team capacity building and knowledge exchange initiatives.
- Identifies areas for new training and knowledge exchange program development, solicits input and assures coordination with other relevant program activities, plans the initiative, seeks necessary approvals and implements the new initiative.
- Develops a training cycle for the PTCC training program and manages all related activities
- Designs and conducts needs assessments, including an annual training demand assessment; analyzes results and presents them to management.
- Leads an annual review of PTCC’s Communities of Practice to assess needs, relevance and results; this may include developing and conducting a survey of public health departments, TCANs and partner agencies to identify domains of interest
- Reviews PTCC training and knowledge exchange activities, and evaluation results; analyzes performance and prepares recommendations to enhance service delivery and support innovation
- Develops and implements plans for the revision of existing training and knowledge exchange activities and the development of new initiatives
- Leads the development of PTCC’s provincial knowledge exchange forum; this role includes engaging with the other PTCC project team and staff in program development, conducting needs assessments, and engaging external stakeholders
- Reviews and recommends changes to training evaluation and performance measures
- Ensures quality assurance processes are in place for the training and knowledge exchange program
- Establishes and leads advisory/work groups to support training and knowledge exchange program development
- Reviews and approves training promotional materials (e.g., training brochures, etc).
- Effectively manages multiple training and knowledge exchange projects.
- Completes quarterly and final activity reports for use by PTCC management and for submission to funders
- Assists the PTCC Manager with the development of annual work plans and budget estimates
- Manages procurements with training consultants, vendors, etc.
- Generates data reports from PTCC’s Management Information System; reviews and recommends system changes to help ensure relevance and that complete and high quality data is collected
Here is what you will need to be successful:
- A graduate degree in education, health sciences, behavioural sciences, or recognized equivalent required
- Strong knowledge of adult learning theory, knowledge exchange theories and strategies
- Understanding of training/ capacity building evaluation models and metrics
- Project planning and management skills
- Strong knowledge of curriculum planning
- Candidate must demonstrate an understanding of complex public health interventions
- Knowledge of comprehensive tobacco control and the tobacco control system in Ontario
- 5 or more years of relevant experience in roles related to adult learning/ continuing education, capacity building and knowledge exchange
- Experience leading and successfully completing large complex projects
- Experience developing adult learning, training and/or continuing education programs
- Experience leading teams and supervising staff
- Solid knowledge of project management
- Demonstrated experience with presenting materials to large audiences of 50+
- Effective consensus building, facilitation and negotiation skills
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Strong critical, analytical and problem solving skills
- Superior organizational skills and ability to manage complex concurrent projects
- Experience working with diverse stakeholders
- Experience with vendor management and contract negotiation
Employment Type: Permanent Full-Time
Job Posting Close Date: March 31, 2017
To Apply: Please submit a resume and cover letter via the CCO Careers Site at the following link: https://cco.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/CCO/job/Toronto-ON/Team-Lead--PT....