Deadline March 25, 2017
Full-time Position Available
Hamilton Urban Core is a thriving inner city health centre and a leader in the provision of high-quality primary health services and health promotion programs. Our comprehensive health services are delivered through a dynamic team of multidisciplinary, inter-professional health providers. Our client populations include individuals and families with chronic and complex health and social conditions, many of who are living in poverty.
The Health Settlement Counsellor provides services and supports to marginalized immigrant and refugee individuals and families in the community in order to assist them with their settlement, health and health related issues. This may include one-on-one individual services, group activities or programs and/or outreach to communities and includes a focus on providing mental health and wellness supports.
- Demonstrated experience working with marginalized individuals and communities, particularly newcomer / immigrant communities and racialized groups
- Relevant education and related work experience. Knowledge and understanding of community service sector and community health centres
- Experience working with clients to conduct a comprehensive assessment to determine service needs and developing needs-based settlement plans that include health as a settlement issue.
- Solid experience with presentations, group assessment and group facilitation
- Knowledge of the immigrant services sector. Working knowledge of the immigrant settlement process and of issues impacting immigrant and refugee communities in the Hamilton region
- Demonstrated experience in providing a range of mental wellness supports and services for marginalized newcomers
- Working knowledge of a wide variety of community resources
- Demonstrated experience in developing and conducting outreach activities
- Excellent communication, problem solving and record keeping skills. Proficiency in the use of computers in the work environment
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a multidisciplinary, inter-professional team
- Flexible, able to work evenings and/or weekends as required
- Awareness of Hamilton Urban Core’s commitment to health equity, anti-racism and anti-oppression principles
Interested individuals should forward a covering letter and resume by March 25, 2017 to:
The Health Settlement Counselor Hiring Committee
Hamilton Urban Core Community Health Centre
71 Rebecca Street
Hamilton, Ontario L8R 1B6
Fax to (905) 522-5374;
Hamilton Urban Core is committed to equity in employment.