Deadline May 16, 2017
The Middlesex-London Health Unit has an exciting opportunity for a temporary, full-time Health Promoter on the Chronic Disease Prevention and Tobacco Control Team, until June 2018. This position focuses on tobacco prevention and youth engagement and will apply the following health promotion strategies to change behaviour and promote assigned health topics: education/awareness, skill building, creating a supportive environment, advocacy, policy development and facilitating community mobilization. This position will implement tobacco control programming with a focus on tobacco use prevention, youth and young adult cessation and the engagement of youth within public health programs. The successful candidate will apply population health principles and deliver programs, while monitoring and analyzing social research and epidemiological data related to community needs and operational planning. The Health Promoter will participate in program planning and evaluation, as well as collaborate with public health staff and develop partnerships with community groups and government agencies. The Health Promoter will deliver health promotion communication campaigns, including the development of social media/key message development.
- Baccalaureate Degree in the area of Health Promotion or a Health-related discipline. Post-graduate studies in health promotion or public health is considered an asset.
- Preference will be given to those with previous experience working with youth and young adults, and education/experience in the field of youth engagement/development, health promotion and tobacco control.
- Knowledge of adolescent health promotion theory and best-practice research.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Experience building positive community relationships with teachers, parents, school administrators and community members is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively within a multidisciplinary team.
- Ability to synthesize and apply evidence to the development of health promotion strategies.
- Valid Ontario Driver’s licence and own transportation.
- The ability to communicate (written and verbal) in French or and other language(s) is highly desirable.
Please see http://www.healthunit.com for further information about our programs and services.
To apply to this position, please submit all applications electronically via our Career Opportunities page by May 16, 2017 quoting posting #CDPFTHPOPP-0517.
Information concerning applicants is collected under the authority of the Health Protection & Promotion Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. H-7, as amended, and will be used to consider suitability for employment. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. The Health Unit is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Accommodations are available, upon request, to support potential applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. Should you require accommodation, please contact our Human Resources Department at 519-663-5317, extension 2512 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Mission of the Middlesex-London Health Unit is to promote and protect the health of our community.