North Bay, Ontario
Deadline June 12, 2017
Job Posting #2017/017 – Re-Posted
Position: Desktop Support Intern – OPSEU - Information Technology Services
Hours of Work: Temporary – Full-Time – 35 Hours Per Week (1.00 FTE)
Effective: As soon as possible for a one (1) year period (subject to change)
Location: Main Office – North Bay
Additional Info: Partially funded by the Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation
Reporting to the Manager, Information Technology & Building and Maintenance, the Desktop Support Intern will work with the Service Desk to provide a single point of contact for all of our organization's Information Technology (IT) related incidents and service requests. In this role the intern will provide first tier support for all staff, students, and external contractors. The position will be responsible for resolving support requests as well as meeting customer satisfaction and continuous service delivery demands. The intern position will provide support over the phone, through e-mail, and in person. The intern will also act as a support to senior level IT staff to assist with the transition of the Health Unit's IT infrastructure to a new building and location in North Bay.
Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- College diploma or university degree in the field of computer science or equivalent and has graduated within the last (3) three years from an accredited college or university
- Internship must provide first-time employment in a related field and must not have previously participated in an internship program
- Thorough understanding of Windows AD and Windows Domain environment
- Strong knowledge of common business applications and software suites, including but not limited to MS Office 2007 – 2016, major web browsers, antivirus software, remote access/support software, VPN clients and Adobe products
- Knowledge of basic computer hardware
- Working knowledge of IT technologies across a wide variety of areas
- Knowledge of applicable privacy practices and laws
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, with a focus on rapport-building, listening, and questioning skills
- Field incoming service requests from end users via both telephone and e-mail in a courteous manner
- Demonstrated effective problem solving skills
- Shows discretion and appropriately handles confidential information
- Ability to effectively organize, prioritize, execute tasks, and meet deadlines in a high-pressured environment
- Ability to escalate problems (when required) to the appropriate senior staff
- Ability to conduct research into a wide range of computing issues as required
- Ability to function independently and/or in a team environment
- Self- motivated and directed with a keen attention to detail
- Demonstrated commitment to continuous learning and quality improvement
- Ability to lift up to 35 lbs
- Demonstrated reliability and the ability to work flex hours as required
As a condition of employment, the successful candidate will be required to provide a Criminal Reference Check including the Vulnerable Sector Check: recent, within four (4) months at their expense and will be required to comply with the Health Unit’s immunization policies. Applicants requiring accessibility accommodation for the interview are asked to make such requests only when contacted for an interview.
Hourly Rate: $20.90 (plus 4% vacation pay and 4% public holiday pay)
Closing Date: Monday, June 12, 2017 at 4:00 p.m.
If you wish to be considered for this position, please forward your resume, cover letter and proof of education required for this position to the attention of:
Wendy Moore, Human Resources Assistant Attention: Job Posting #2017/017 – Re-Posted
North Bay Parry Sound District Health Unit, 681 Commercial Street, North Bay, ON P1B 4E7 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please Note: If you did not receive a confirmation email that your resume/application has been received, please contact Wendy Moore at (705) 474-1400 ext. 2562 for confirmation.
Once posting is closed, please refer to website for status of job posting.
This Opportunity is Proudly Supported by the Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation.
The Health Unit is an Equal Opportunity Employer.