Deadline December 22, 2017
Peterborough Public Health Requires a Director of Public Health Programs
Effective January 1, 2018
Regular, Full-Time (1.0 Full Time Equivalents (FTE))
1. Summary of duties
The Director of Public Health Programs is responsible for public health programs and services delivered by the Peterborough Public Health (PPH) to the residents of Peterborough County, City, Curve Lake First Nation and Hiawatha First Nation. The Director assists the Medical Officer of Health in ensuring that the requirements of the Ontario Public Health Standards (OPHS) are met. In addition, the Director assists the Board of Health in fulfilling its contractual obligations in the delivery of programs and services established to meet local needs. The Director advises and assists the Medical Officer of Health in order to meet both the strategic directions of the Board of Health and the provincial mandate of public health in Ontario.
2. Minimum qualifications and position requirements:
- Graduate degree in a health, human service, management or discipline directly applicable to the practice of public health.
- At least ten (10) years of management experience, five (5) years in public health or public sector.
- Experience with broad organizationally-focused initiatives.
Knowledge and Skills:
Demonstrated knowledge of:
- Ontario Public Health Standards (OPHS): Requirements for Programs, Services and Accountability framework.
- Application of effective public health practices and overseeing the planning, implementation, management, and evaluation of assigned programs, services and special projects.
- Developing strategies to implement and sustain local needs programs to support community health priorities.
- Ensuring sound fiscal management, critical thinking and effective budget control and reporting in assigned areas.
Demonstrated effective skills in:
- Leadership, management, supervisory and team-building skills that reflect the organization’s values.
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills;
- Ability to adapt to new, different, or changing requirements;
- Ability to delegate effectively;
- Excellent planning, multi-tasking, analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Extensive knowledge of all areas of public health practice;
- Ability to interpret and apply relevant legislation, research, and other relevant information;
- Strong negotiation, conflict resolution and facilitation skills;
- Excellent initiative, dependability, creativity, and attention to quality of work;
- Expertise in financial planning and management, human resources and labour relations;
- In-depth knowledge of the community and key stakeholders; and
- Intermediate level of computer and electronic communications skills.
- Ability to respond 24/7 for public health emergencies.
- Access to reliable transportation.
- As a condition of employment, the successful candidate will be required to provide a Criminal Reference Check including the Vulnerable Sector Check and will be required to comply with Peterborough Public Health’s immunization policies.
For the applicants’ interest, click on the links below to see why it is so great to live and work in Peterborough. “Choose Peterborough” by Peterborough Economic Development:
- Our two First Nations communities: Curve Lake First Nations https://www.curvelakefirstnation.ca/
- and Hiawatha First Nations http://www.hiawathafirstnation.com
3. Apply in writing to:
Peterborough Public Health is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities.
Accommodation will be provided throughout the hiring process at the request of the applicant.
In applying for this job make sure your resume and or cover letter address the qualifications noted above.
Please note that only applicants to be given further consideration will be contacted for an interview.
4. Applications to be received no later than:
Friday, December 22, 2017, at 12:00 p.m.
5. Date and time posted:
Monday, November 27, 2017, at 12:00 p.m.