April 23-25, 2018
Do you ever work with people who have spouses, partners, parents, siblings or children who are abusing substances but deny that it's a problem?
Do you wish you had a more helpful answer for these clients when they ask you what they can do to motivate their loved ones to get help?
If you answered yes to the above questions, we have the answer for you! It's called Community Reinforcement and Family Training, or "CRAFT" for short.
Supported by 20 years of peer-reviewed research, CRAFT is a comprehensive behavioural program that teaches families to optimize their impact while avoiding confrontation or detachment. CRAFT methods are evidence-based and provide families with a hopeful, positive, and more effective alternative to addressing substance problems than other intervention programs.
- CRAFT is very successful at influencing treatment-refusing alcohol and drug abusers to enter treatment.
- Across a number of clinical research studies,CRAFT consistently gets 64%-86% of cases into treatment, typically after only five sessions.
- In comparative studies, CRAFT treatment engagement is significantly higher than the Johnson Intervention (30%) and Al-Anon (0%-17%).
- CRAFT's efficacy has been shown with ethnically diverse client populations and with other individuals in a variety of types of relationships with the substance abuser (spouse, parent, adult, child, sibling, partner, grandparent, etc.).
- Regardless of whether a family member's loved one enters treatment, the family member typically feels less depressed, anxious, angry, and has fewer physical symptoms than before treatment
Presenter: Robert J. Meyers, Ph.D., is an Emeritus Research Associate Professor of Psychology who worked in the clinical research branch at the University of New Mexico's Center on Alcoholism, Substance Abuse and Addiction for over 22 years. He is an internationally known speaker and trainer. The co-author of five books and one manual on addiction treatment, he has also published more than one hundred scientific articles and book chapters. The CRAFT program and Dr. Meyers were featured on the Emmy Award-winning HBO series Addiction. Dr. Meyers' innovative CRAFT program has also been featured in O, the Oprah magazine.
- Early Registration Fee: $499 + HST (by March 22nd)
- Regular Registration Fee: $549 + HST (after March 22nd)
- Please Note: We are offering "Better than Usual" Group Rates for this workshop, for groups of 5 or more. Groups can be made up of people from different agencies. Email us at email@example.com for more info.
- Fee includes lunch, morning and afternoon refreshments on Days 1 & 2 and morning refreshments on Day 3.
For more information or to register, please visit http://www.missionempowerment.ca/craft.html.