Temiskaming Shores, Ontario
Deadline March 31, 2018
The Timiskaming Health Unit is offering placement opportunities for graduate students wishing to gain experience in the field of public health. Student placements will have an opportunity to collaborate with staff at a health unit in Northeastern Ontario, in support of effective public health practice.
Brief Description of Practicum Project:
Public health programs and services that are informed by evidence are the foundation for effective public health practice. Ensuring stakeholders are aware of population health information is an important aspect of public health work. Under the supervision of a preceptor the student will have the opportunity to:
- Conduct an environmental scan of public health unit health status data knowledge/information products;
- Compile data visualization and information products for use with a variety of stakeholders;
- Propose options for effective sharing of health status data including the inputs required;
- Present findings to internal staff;
- Assess, analyze, interpret and prepare data for visualization in information products. Topic areas may include population data, growth and development, injury.
Experience gained could include:
- Gathering, analyzing/appraising and synthesizing quantitative and qualitative data;
- Managing data –interpreting, and reporting;
- Preparing knowledge exchange and information products;
- Developing skills in project management.
- Candidates must be enrolled in a Masters of Epidemiology or Masters of Public Health (MPH) with specialization in Epidemiology or equivalent program;
- Ability to work independently;
- Strong research and data analysis and management skills;
- Excellent project management skills;
- Excellent communication and knowledge exchange skills.
Compensation: A stipend of $200 per week is available.
Period & Hours of Work: May-August (negotiable). Hours of work are 35 hours per week, Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
Applications will be accepted until March 31, 2018. Only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Please apply to:
Randy Winters, email@example.com
Director of Corporate Services Timiskaming Health Unit
247 Whitewood Avenue, Unit 43
P.O. Box 1090
New Liskeard, ON POJ 1PO
Timiskaming Health Unit is committed to an inclusive, barrier free environment. We encourage all applicants to self-identify their barriers on their resumes and/or cover letter in order to provide accommodations in all steps of the hiring process. This is to ensure that all are able to participate fully and equally during the recruitment and selection process.