Temiskaming Shores, Ontario
Deadline March 31, 2018
The Timiskaming Health Unit is offering placement opportunities for graduate students wishing to gain experience in the field of public health. Student placements will have an opportunity to collaborate with staff at a health unit in Northeastern Ontario, in support of effective public health practice.
Brief Description of Practicum Project:
Public health programs and services that are informed by evidence are the foundation for effective public health practice. Monitoring activities and outcomes to assess and improve programs and services is also essential. Under the supervision of a preceptor the student will have the opportunity to:
- Establish indicators, build a data collection model and prepare information product templates to monitor and report on school health program outcomes and processes;
- Contribute to a situational assessment of health equity, including consideration of health equity indicators;
- Contribute to development of knowledge projects related to health equity and school health and other topics.
Experience gained could include:
- Gathering, analyzing/appraising and synthesizing quantitative and qualitative data;
- Managing data -interpreting, collecting and reporting;
- Preparing knowledge exchange and information products;
- Developing skills in project management.
- Candidates must be enrolled in a Masters of Public Health (MPH) or equivalent program;
- Ability to work independently;
- Strong research and data analysis and management skills;
- Excellent project management skills;
- Excellent communication and knowledge exchange skills.
Compensation: A stipend of $200 per week is available.
Period & Hours of Work: May to August – Negotiable. Hours of work are 35 hours per week, Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
Applications will be accepted until March 31, 2018. Only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Please apply to:
Randy Winters, [email protected]
Director of Corporate Services Timiskaming Health Unit
247 Whitewood Avenue, Unit 43
P.O. Box 1090
New Liskeard, ON POJ 1PO
Timiskaming Health Unit is committed to an inclusive, barrier free environment. We encourage all applicants to self-identify their barriers on their resumes and/or cover letter in order to provide accommodations in all steps of the hiring process. This is to ensure that all are able to participate fully and equally during the recruitment and selection process.