Deadline March 26, 2018
Temporary, full-time position, from June 1, 2018 to April 30, 2020 (with an off-work period from May 1, 2019 to June 30, 2019)
Comprising several departments working together towards a common goal, Student Wellness Services is an integral part of the University of Guelph community, ensuring that students are prepared for success by fostering good health and positive well-being to support their academic pursuits. Mental wellness is where good health starts and, as Mental Well-being Facilitator, you will play a key leading role in positioning students to achieve their best at the University.
Reporting to the Manager of Wellness Education and Promotion, you will develop, implement and evaluate evidence-based strategies across campus that help students find their best footing in mental health. Focusing on education and skills, you will create group sessions in which students can work on their wellness and resilience, as well as develop programming that promotes awareness of key psychological health issues. Notably, your efforts as Mental Well-being Facilitator will integrate suicide prevention strategies. In executing the accountabilities of this important, health-oriented mandate, collaboration with other University partners and leadership in many campus-wide initiatives will be critical. Taking ownership of Guelph’s existing mental health training framework will also be part of your role with Student Wellness Services, along with coordinating established peer-to-peer programs focused on improving student mental health and wellness.
To assume the role of Mental Well-being Facilitator, you must have:
- A master’s degree in Social Work, Education, Counselling, Public Health or equivalent.
- Proven ability in developing and implementing innovative strengths-based programs for post-secondary student populations related to mental well-being, resilience and suicide prevention.
- The ability to engage with and influence others through strong collaborative leadership among diverse stakeholder groups.
- Strong group facilitation, teaching and counselling skills.
- Experience marketing health and wellness promotion to young adults.
- Experience working with individuals with diverse identities.
- Experience with the recruitment, training, evaluation and supervision of volunteers.
- Excellent communication skills, including strong written, oral and presentation skills.
- The ability to adopt different teaching and learning platforms for the delivery of content.
- Competency in diverse social media platforms.
- The ability to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends.
The University of Guelph (http://www.uoguelph.ca) is one of Canada’s leading research-intensive comprehensive institutions, with a record of outstanding scholarship in the arts, humanities, social sciences, life sciences, physical and engineering sciences, agriculture and veterinary sciences. This is your chance to join us in our endeavour to improve life.
To view a detailed posting for the Mental Well-being Facilitator role, including application instructions and the posting closing date, please go to our website at http://www.uoguelph.ca/jobs. Applications, quoting Hiring #2018-0140, must be sent to [email protected].
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
Posting Date: 2018 03 19
Closing Date: 2018 03 26