Champlain Region, Ontario
Deadline April 13, 2018
Job Type: Contract
Start Date: Tuesday, May 1, 2018
Competition Number: HTP1805
Work Hours: Part-Time
Salary: Commensurate with experience
# of Vacancies: 1
Scheduled Hours of Work: 18 to 20 hours per week.
Term: 10 to 12 months.
Posted Date: Wednesday, March 21, 2018
Deadline: Friday, April 13, 2018
Established in 2006, the Champlain Cardiovascular Disease Prevention Network (CCPN) is an innovative, multi-sector partnership housed at the University of Ottawa Heart Institute working to reduce the burden of cardiovascular disease in the Champlain region of Eastern Ontario. Healthy Foods in Hospitals (Healthy Foods) is a CCPN priority program.
Healthy Foods in Hospitals Program:
Our vision is to create supportive, healthy nutrition environments in Champlain hospitals so that the healthy choice is the easy choice for staff, physicians, visitors, patients, and volunteers.
The emphasis is on retail food settings; this includes cafeteria, vending, volunteer, and franchise operations on hospital campuses.
The program is grounded in a set of evidence-informed, progressively-phased nutrition standards which define the foods and beverages hospitals should be increasing (and decreasing) across their retail outlets.
All 20 Champlain-area hospitals are actively participating in the program.
Summary of Responsibilities:
Under the supervision of the CCPN Program Manager, the Regional Dietitian will provide centralized support to the Healthy Foods program as well as on-the-ground technical assistance for hospitals. Activities include:
- Establish sound working relationships with participating hospitals & other relevant partners, and facilitate linkages between stakeholders as required;
- Facilitate Dietetic Working Group, an oversight committee of hospital and public health dietitians;
- Lead annual review process to ensure our nutrition standards remain current with evidence and to address any emerging interpretation issues;
- Develop, revise and maintain implementation supports that are relevant and responsive to the needs of hospitals;
- Liaise with food vendors/distributors to source alternative products that comply with our standards, and develop product lists as appropriate;
- Participate in meetings of the Leadership Task Force and other committees, as required.
- Conduct onsite visits with all hospitals at least once per year to assess hospital progress against the nutrition standards, compile data, and prepare reports;
- Support nutrition analysis of menus & recipes and assist with menu reformulation, as required;
- Support creation of posters for hospitals to display nutrition information, as required;
- Assist with training/education for food service staff and other stakeholders, as required.
The Regional Dietitian will possess a sound knowledge base in nutrition principles and healthy food environments. The ideal candidate will be an excellent communicator and motivator who is passionate about health promotion/disease prevention, has a working knowledge of the hospital environment, and is familiar with procurement and supply chain mechanisms for food service provision in hospitals.
- Baccalaureate of Science or Nutrition related discipline from a University of recognized standing;
- Completed post-graduate Dietetic Internship or integrated training recognized by Dietitians of Canada;
- Member of the College of Dietitians of Ontario;
- Exceptional communication and relationship-building skills;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Strong facilitation skills;
- Creative problem solving skills;
- A team player who can work collaboratively but also able to work independently;
- Strong computer proficiencies (Microsoft Office Suite);
- Access to a personal vehicle for regular travel within Eastern Ontario;
- Flexibility to work some evenings as required.
- Proficiency in speaking and comprehending both French and English;
- Previous work experience in the areas of comprehensive nutrition environments, employee health & well-being, and/or food service provision in Ontario hospital environments;
- Minimum 3-5 years work experience in program planning and implementation.
Interested candidates may submit their resume to the CCPN via email at [email protected].
Accommodations will be provided in all parts of the hiring process relating to any specialty requirements. Applicants should make their needs known in advance.
Deadline for applications is April 13, 2018.
The successful candidate will be required, prior to the start of employment, to complete mandatory organizational training available online, provide a satisfactory Criminal Record Check and provide an official piece of photo identification.