Deadline March 27, 2018
Length: Temporary Full-Time (for up to 18 months)
Department/Division: Public Health & Emergency Services/Central Resources
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week
Salary/Wage: $55,255.20 - $62,790.00 per annum/$30.36 - $34.50 per hour
Location: 99 Regina St. S., Waterloo
Closing Date: March 27, 2018
Description of Duties:
Supports the design, implementation, and evaluation of digital communication platforms for external and internal audiences, consistent with the department’s health communication goals; and assists management to promote the department’s image and services through same. Assists management to plan, develop, implement, and evaluate departmental and related corporate communications. Acts as the Departmental support for the corporate website and intranet; uploads content and ensures compliance with accessibility legislation and standards, including Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), and Canadian Press Standards.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
- Knowledge and skill in website design, digital communication, conceptual design, and internal and external communications, acquired through a 2-year college diploma or university degree, plus 2 years of directly related experience.
- Knowledge of and ability to follow corporate policies, procedures, communication standards, and related legislation (e.g., AODA, Canadian Press Standards, privacy). Understanding of social marketing and digital communications as it relates to health promotion.
- Ability to keep current on new technologies and digital communication platforms.
- Ability to exercise discretion and tact when dealing with confidential/sensitive information and inquiries.
- Analytical, research, organizational and problem solving skills to work independently to complete projects in a timely manner and meet deadlines; develop customized solutions for clients; apply corporate communications standards to content; and adapt to frequently changing priorities.
- Human relations and communication skills to establish effective working relationships with all levels of staff and external agencies; respond to public inquiries regarding departmental programs, policies and procedures; conduct needs assessments with clients; design work and written materials and instruct staff, management and external partners in specific work processes, methods, or procedures; and participate as an effective team member.
- Ability to write, proofread, and edit/rework communications materials and digital content using plain language, for use in multiple formats/platforms, and adapt based on audience; create written instructions for staff in the use of platforms, policies, procedures, and systems.
- Ability to read correspondence, technical manuals, magazines, content, and design/communication standards.
- Computer skills using software and design applications (e.g., Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, Quark); Internet security features; programming tools (e.g., iCreate, Joomla); e-newsletters; and web application products. Skill in photography for use in multimedia projects, publications, and website.
- May be required to alter working hours to provide website updates in the event of an emergency, and is requested to work weekend hours for same.
- Ability to travel within Waterloo Region.
- Ability to support and demonstrate the Region’s values.
Please apply online (https://ats.region.waterloo.on.ca/region/job_opportunities_ext_details.p...), by the closing date Mar 27, 2018 quoting competition number 2018-1272, or drop off your resume to the Region of Waterloo, Information Desk located on the main floor at 150 Frederick Street, Kitchener, ON N2G 4J3.
We thank all applicants in advance; however, we will be corresponding only with those selected for an interview.
The Region of Waterloo is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We encourage qualified applicants to apply and will accommodate the needs of qualified applicants under the Human Rights Code in all parts of the hiring process.
Alternate formats of this document are available upon request. Please contact the Service First Call Centre at phone number 519- 575-4400, TTY number 519-575-4608 to request an alternate format.