The North Bay and District Health Unit is seeking a full time Community Health Promoter (Union- OPSEU). The Community Health Promoter works with local businesses/workplaces, community agencies and groups, volunteers, other health professionals and health unit staff to plan, develop, implement, and evaluate a range of comprehensive programs under the requirements of the Chronic Disease and Injury Prevention
Program. The successful candidate also supports related programs within the Family Health and Infectious Disease Programs.
* Baccalaureate degree (4 years) in health sciences/applied science or an equivalent combination of education and experience
* Two years experience in health promotion programming, including community development, health policy analysis and development, social marketing, mass communication and media, application of health behaviour change theory, program planning, implementation and evaluation
* Demonstrated ability to facilitate community partnerships with diverse groups (e.g., business/workplace, youth, health professionals)
* Ability to critically assess applied health research and develop detailed program proposals and reports
* Demonstrated ability in program planning and evaluation including applied community needs assessment
* Excellent verbal, written, and mass communication skills
* Ability to use computer technology for program data management using MS Word, Acess, Excel, and Power Point
* Ability to work both independently and within a team environment
* Willingness to work flex hours to meet program needs as required
* Fluency in both official languages would be an asset
Must have a minimum "G2" Ontario Driver's License and vehicle required (monthly allowance and kilometer rate provided)
ABOUT NORTH BAY AND DISTRICT:
The North Bay and District Health Unit provides service to over 90,000 residents. The office is located within the City of North Bay, but travel throughout the district is expected. The City of North Bay is conveniently located just 4 hours from Toronto and Ottawa. The district offers excellent affordable housing, including lake front property in both an urban and rural setting and four season recreational opportunities. The combination of lush forests, many lakes and clean air creates a healthy environment for working, living, and raising a family. There is also access to a local post secondary campus with a community college (Canadore) and university (Nipissing) on one site.
SALARY: Minimum $38,080 to Maximum $42,859 (excellent benefit package)
CLOSING DATE: July 14, 2000, at 4:00 p.m.
ADDRESS APPLICATIONS TO: North Bay and District Health Unit, 681 Commercial Street, North Bay, ON P1B 4E7
Applications may be faxed to 705-474-8252. Ensure job posting #PH/2000/011 is recorded on envelope and application. ONLY THOSE APPLICANTS SELECTED FOR AN INTERVIEW WILL BE CONTACTED. TELEPHONE INQUIRIES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
The Health Unit is an equal opportunity employer and complies with the Human Rights Code. We do not wish to receive nor will we consider any information which offends a prohibited ground under the Code.