Employment Opportunity 00463. Health Services Department, Public Health. Family & Community Health Division.
Salary: $25.54 - $29.82 per hour. Temporary Full-Time - approximately August 2000 - April 2001 (with possible extension).
The Health Educator identifies and recommends strategies to achieve the standards and requirements of the Mandatory Core Services and Guidelines for the targeted population. Consults with Health Services staff, community professionals and members of the targeted community regarding health practices and resources that promote health. Establishes and maintains internal and external liaisons to ensure the development, implementation and evaluation of health promotion strategies. This Health Educator will have a specific focus on Injury Prevention and Substance Abuse Prevention.
* Bachelors degree with a major in Health Sciences, Health Promotion and/or Adult Education or equivalent combination of education and experience.
* Masters degree in Health Studies, Health Promotion, Education or Addictions an asset.
* Experience working as a member of an interdisciplinary team, providing services to the school population.
* Experience with policy development and advocacy.
* Experience in the field of addictions an asset.
* Experience with design, delivery of educational programs for adults and youth.
* A valid Ontario driver's licence in good standing and a reliable vehicle for use on Corporate business.
SKILLS/KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
* Demonstrated effective public speaking and presentation skills.
* Skill in liasing with other departmental staff, school staff and other community organizations on substance abuse.
* Excellent organizational skills.
* Ability to apply health promotion/education theories to develop related programs and marketing campaigns.
* Ability to work as an effective member of the interdisciplinary team.
* Ability to work independently with demonstrated initiative and creativity.
This is a Union position - CUPE Local 4900/1076. Initial area of employment will be at 10 Trench Street, Richmond Hill, Ontario.
Please apply by July 13, 2000 to: Sandra Vessel, Program Manager, FAX 905-884-8661 E-mail Sandra.Vessel@region.york.on.ca