The Ontario Healthy Communities Coalition (OHCC) is comprised of individuals, groups, local healthy community coalitions and provincial associations that are seeking to increase the social, environmental and economic well-being of communities throughout Ontario. Healthy Communities is an approach by which a community determines its own vision of its preferred future, and the issues, needs and processes that need to be addressed to achieve that vision. The coalition employs regional Community Animators to support, strengthen and build capacity for Healthy Community coalitions and activities in Ontario. Community Animators provide consultation, facilitation, training, presentations and information on topics relevant to healthy communities, and reach out to diverse communities to support their inclusion in the Coalition.
The Ontario Healthy Communities Coalition is seeking applications for the contract position of Community Animator for the Greater Toronto Area (Toronto, Halton Region, Peel Region, York Region) from April 1, 2001 to March 31, 2002, with possibility of renewal.
* exceptional interpersonal, communications and facilitation skills
* minimum of five years of professional community-based experience
* demonstrated abilities in working with diversity of people and groups
* possess strong consulting, presentation and group facilitation skills
* have experience with skills training and train-the-trainer programs
* ability to work independently, take initiative and assume responsibility with minimal supervision
* computer literacy for word processing, database, email and internet systems
* post-secondary degree, diploma or equivalent work experience
* ability to travel, including overnight trips
* knowledge and experience of the Healthy Communities process and movement
* experience working with networks and coalitions
* familiar with communities, organizations and municipalities in the region
* value working as part of a team in a flexible, highly productive workplace
* be comfortable in an environment of continuous learning and change
* fluency in French is an asset
* potential, if not existing, home office, access to a vehicle and a valid drivers licence
Salary: This is a renewable contract position for 35 hours per week, with flexible scheduling, initially for a one year contract. The salary is $39,221 per annum plus benefits. A travel and expense allowance will be allocated in addition to the salary.
Location: This is a home office-based position within the Greater Toronto Area.
To Apply: Applications should be submitted to
Hiring Team - Greater Toronto Area
Ontario Healthy Communities Coalition
180 Dundas Street West, Suite 1900
Toronto, ON M5G 1Z8
Sorry, no faxes or telephone inquiries.
Deadline: The deadline for submission of applications for these positions is Friday, March 9, 2001. We regret that only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
For more information about OHCC and the Community Animation positions (including the job description), please visit http://www.opc.on.ca/ohcc.