OPC is seeking a student to support development of English and French-language 'virtual libraries,' improve existing searchable databases for health promotion in Ontario, and contribute to the revitalization of OPC's website and web-based linkages. OPC is well known for its work on the Internet and in developing and supporting electronic resources, e-bulletins, a shared Intranet, and training programs on effective use of the Internet. The successful student will gain valuable experience and training in information retrieval and organization, document management, database and website design and team work within OPC and between multiple organizations.
* Work with OPC staff to refine the plan for the French and English virtual libraries.
* Adapt existing database structures to accommodate improved searchability, cross-referencing and linkages.
* Enter identified resources, and clean data entries within the existing databases.
* Organize existing electronic resources into accessible formats for a virtual library.
* Participate in a workgroup to revitalize website (e.g., improve design, revise messages and content, update and strengthen linkages to other sites.
* Provide direct customer services, e.g., share reception desk duties, respond to simple client requests, package resources for distribution, arrange deliveries.
* Preference will be given to fluently bilingual applicants able to support electronic library and database development in both official languages.
* Familiarity with Internet, website design, databases and word-processing.
* Experience in Intranets and use of PDF files and/or OCR scanning an asset
* Demonstrated reliability, ability to work semi-independently, team experience.
* High school diploma required. Post secondary education in Administration-related, or Information Studies programs a definite asset.
* Some volunteer or work experience in health promotion, social or community services is an asset.
This is a contract position from June 25 to September 1, 2001. Pay is $10.00/hour.
Please submit letter of interest and resume in confidence by June 13th to
Summer Employment, OPC
180 Dundas St. W., Suite 1900
Toronto, ON M5G 1Z8
Fax: (416) 408-2122
We thank all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted. OPC is an equal opportunity employer. OPC strives to reflect the diversity of Ontario in our workplace. This includes individuals who face barriers because of race, sexual orientation, gender, ability, religion or socio-economic background.