Carlington Community and Health Services, a community health centre located in the west end of Ottawa, is seeking Social Worker for its Assertive Community Treatment (ACT) program. The ACT team provides comprehensive community mental health treatment for individuals with severe and prolonged mental illness.
* MSW; registered with Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers; 2-4 years experience working with mental health clients preferred.
* Assessment, interviewing, counselling, psychosocial diagnostic and treatment skills and the ability to apply these skills in a community setting.
* Experience in applying principles of psychosocial rehabilitation and practices of case management; working in transdisciplinary teams.
* Knowledge of psychotropic medications, side effects and symptom management; major mental illness from a bio-psychosocial perspective.
* Written and verbal communication skills including professional interaction with mental health clients and their families.
* Multi-tasking and time management skills, conflict management, problem-solving, prioritizing.
* Knowledge of the Mental Health Act.
* Administrative skills: completing reports, maintaining client charts/records.
* Experience working in a Windows environment.
* Experience in family and group counselling an asset.
* Experience in research an asset.
* Use of a vehicle required.
* Requirement to work regularly scheduled day, evening and weekend shifts, and to be available for on-call status.
* English essential, bilingualism and other languages an asset.
Personal Suitability: Must have a strong commitment toward and belief in a client-centred practice; non-judgemental attitude; commitment to the team; ability to establish supportive and trusting relationships with persons with mental illness; personal experience as a consumer of mental health services or family involvement of mental health services would be considered an asset.
Salary range: $41,583 - $51.226 + excellent benefits
Applicants WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED UNLESS they include ALONG WITH their resume a 1- to 3-page attachment (point form) that clearly demonstrates how their previous skills and experience correspond to each of the above-listed qualifications. We regret that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Send applications, by 4 p.m. Thursday, September 27, 2001 to
"ACT Social Work Position,"
Manager, Human Resources and Administration
Carlington Community & Health Services
900 Merivale Rd.
Ottawa, ON K1Z 5Z8
Fax (613) 761-1805
The Centre is committed to employment equity.