East End Community Health Centre is a non-profit, multi-service Centre providing health, social and community services with an emphasis on health promotion, which requires a full-time project coordinator for a school based health promotion program from October 2001 to July 10, 2002.
With the support of Health Canada, East End Community Health Centre will be implementing a Recess Revival Program over the next 9 months. The project aims to build the capacity of junior public schools in East Toronto to encourage healthy lifestyles among their students and to promote a school culture of participation and active living. This project directly supports the promotion and prevention objective of the Canadian Diabetes Strategy by encouraging physical activity among school aged children while recognizing the ways in which income, gender and social environments impact on the ability of individuals to engage in health enhancing activities. Through such interventions as a peer leadership program, school wide events, and cross cultural cooperative games and activities, the program will encourage the active participation of girls and boys in activities and behaviours that will reduce the incidence and prevalence of diabetes.
The project coordinator will be responsible for all aspects of the project including
* recruiting the support of school principals and their staff to engage in our Recess Revival Program,
* developing projects in coordination with principals, students, staff and community members,
* recruiting grade 5 and 6 students (peer leaders) at designated schools,
* organizing and facilitating training workshops for peer leaders,
* providing resources, support and supervision to peer leaders,
* organizing and facilitating school wide activities and events,
* developing a steering committee & maintaining good communication, and
* report writing and evaluation.
We are looking for a dynamic individual who has
* demonstrated skills and experience in working with diverse groups of children and communities,
* experience in facilitating active recreational activities with school aged children,
* excellent facilitation and training skills,
* ability to work effectively within a school based program with project partners, and community members,
* excellent program development skills, and
* the capacity to work independently.
Please submit resume by fax to (416) 778-5855, before noon on October 3, 2001.
Attn: Joyce Kalsen
343 Coxwell Avenue
Toronto, ON M4L 3B5