The Stop is a Community Food Centre that provides programs and advocacy to address problems of hunger and inequality in West Toronto (http://www.stop103.org). We are looking for a person who shares our community development philosophy to run a breakfast/morning drop-in program, increase civic awareness and engagement and do outreach to vulnerable communities in Davenport West.
* Use a community development approach to run a breakfast/morning drop-in program for vulnerable adults
* Implement activities within drop-in hours that reflect community interest
* Provide staff support to a resident-led social action committee
* Work with staff and community members to develop and implement effective responses to food insecurity
* Develop and implement outreach strategies aimed at increasing program participation from vulnerable families and isolated adults
* Participate in broader activities at the agency: planning, fundraising and team meetings
* At least two years community development work experience with people of diverse cultures in a community-based setting
* Demonstrated experience working with and sensitivity to those who experience poverty/discrimination
* Demonstrated program planning, conflict resolution and group facilitation skills
* Familiarity with proposal writing and grant submissions
* Demonstrated experience doing outreach work to marginalized communities
* Strong interpersonal and writing skills
* Food/cooking skills and knowledge of healthy eating practices are assets
* Knowledge of Davenport West and ability to speak a language relevant to the neighbourhood - - Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, Punjabi, Turkish, Somali -- are assets
Salary: $34,125 plus benefits
Hrs: 37.5 a week
Start date: As soon as possible
Please send your letter and resume by 5:00 p.m. Wednesday, December 19, 2001 to
Hiring Committee-Community Development Worker
P.O. Box 69, Station E
Toronto, Ontario M6H 4E1
Faxed and e-mailed applications will not be considered.
The Stop is committed to Employment Equity and encourages applicants from equity seeking groups. We regret that only those applicants being considered will be contacted.