FoodShare is seeking an experienced community developer with extensive gardening knowledge and experience. The Community Garden Animator will work with diverse communities throughout Toronto to facilitate the establishment of new community gardens and to support existing ones, both horticulturally and organizationally. The CG Animator will work with other agencies and municipal offices to strengthen the network of existing supports and resources available to community gardens. This position involves working as part of FoodShare's Community Agriculture team, reporting to the Community Garden Program Coordinator.
*- orking with the Community Garden Program Coordinator to organize and deliver gardening workshops and informational presentations on community gardening and garden management
* assisting community groups in all phases of new garden implementation: group development, garden design, garden installation, problem solving, etc.
* participating in the development and coordination of a peer leader training program aimed at increasing multicultural participation in community gardening
* providing staff support to the Toronto Community Garden Network, maintaining databases, preparing and distributing newsletters, attending and organizing special events and other commitments as required
* promoting and helping to facilitate the Plant a Row-Grow a Row program to Toronto's gardeners
* creating print and electronic gardening program resources and managing the community garden resource centre
* participating in program development and implementation of new projects with other Community Agriculture team members
* facilitating communication and resource sharing among team members
* participating in outreach and fundraising functions of the Community Garden program and of FoodShare
Qualifications, skills and abilities
* demonstrated experience as a community developer
* demonstrated organic gardening skills and experience
* excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills
* knowledge of and experience working with people of Toronto's diverse communities
* previous experience in workshop design and delivery
* good organizational and time management skills
* good written communication skills
* conflict resolution experience
* ability to work alone and as part of a team are equally important
* the ability to work some evenings and weekends as required
* previous active participation in a community garden is an asset
* landscape design experience is an asset
* ability to speak a language in addition to English is an asset
* a valid driver's license
All FoodShare employees are expected to exhibit the following qualities: flexibility, respect, accountability and ability to work as part of a team.
This is an eight-month, salaried, full-time contract position, beginning as soon as the successful candidate is available. Salary is based upon $33,000 per year, pro-rated to the 8-month period. The position includes eligibility to participate in FoodShare's comprehensive benefits plan.
FoodShare welcomes applications from persons of all cultural and racial backgrounds and is an equal opportunity employer.
Please send a resume and cover letter by fax, email or mail to:
Community Garden Program Coordinator
238 Queen St. West
Toronto, ON M5V 1Z7
Fax: (416) 392-6650
Please Note: Telephone inquiries will not be accepted. We regret that only successful candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Application Deadline: Monday, March 17th, 2003