1 position (12-15 hours per week)
EYET Family Resources is a non-profit organization that provides services and support to children and families, prenatal to age six. These services include prenatal classes, parent-child drop-in programs, early learning activities, family support, caregiver and parenting workshops, and information and referrals to other community services.
EYET is seeking a part-time, Chinese-speaking Ontario Early Year Centre (OEYC) staff to assist with the planning, development and delivery of its OEYC programs and services in the Beaches/East York riding. The staff will work with other staff as part of an integrated team to plan and deliver direct service activities for parents, caregivers and children prenatal to age six.
* Delivery of the day-to-day services held through the OEYC(monthly snacks menu, creative activities, early literacy and activities which promote gross-motor, cognitive, and sensory development)
* Work with Chinese- and English-speaking parents to promote healthy infant/child-parent interactions and provide information on early childhood and infant development, community services, etc.
* Provide one-on-one supports to parents/caregivers and children in form of referrals, linkages with other professionals, etc.
* Deliver/participate daily in circle time (singing or reading circle), arts and crafts, etc.
* Support and encourage parents/caregivers to take promote early literacy for the child/children in their care
* Model positive adult/child relationships
* Assist with interpretation and outreach to attract new families to the Centre
* Assist in administrative maintenance, including form filling, collection of statistics, photocopying, etc.
* Participate in joint planning with staff to identify program needs and incorporate participant ideas into activities
* Past experience with children and families, with some formal education (B.A./B.S.W., E.C.E., or equivalent)
* A good understanding of the practice of family support programs and Ontario Early Years services
* Ability to speak Mandarin and Cantonese fluently, past experience with interpretation/translation a strong asset
* Experience working within an agency that offers services to a diverse, multicultural community
* Experience working with families and children in a community setting
* Awareness of struggles and challenges of families who are experienced marginalization, isolation, etc.
* A high level of verbal and written English
Candidates should respond to this posting no later than January 15, 2003, at 4:00 p.m.
The BEY OEYC Hiring Committee
Attn: Shawna Scale
East York/East Toronto Family Resources
947 Queen Street East
Toronto, ON M4M 1J9
Fax: (416) 686-8282