The Ontario Self-Help Network (OSHNET) is a program of the Self-Help Resource Centre. The mandate of OSHNET is to provide services which support the development of self-help/mutual aid initiatives throughout the province of Ontario. As part of its promotional and awareness raising activities, each year OSHNET organizes a Self-Help Awareness Week (SHAW).
We are seeking a creative individual to develop and implement a Public Relations and Media Outreach Framework. The consultant will be responsible for the development of a publicity, promotion, and public relations framework for the (SHAW).
The purpose of the framework is to raise the SHAW's visibility with the private and public sectors at large in a replicable way. The PR framework includes the planning and execution of all proactive public relations, promotion, and media-relations activities. These include researching, interviewing, writing, pitching, monitoring and increasing general positive exposure for Self-Help Awareness Week (SHAW). She/he will also develop a list of representatives from local newspapers, radio, television, and other strategically important targets. The consultant will coordinate PR efforts as they relate to special events and activities during SHAW. She/he will be responsible for developing and implementing strategic media plans to improve corporate communication to our members and contributors. As part of the framework she/he will produce a variety of electronic and printed pieces, e.g., newsletters, press releases, website, and brochures. Superb writing skills are required.
* Must possess a demonstrated background in planning and implementation of public relations frameworks, excellent verbal and written communication skills
* Must possess good judgment and negotiating abilities and be able to multi-task. Knowledge of tactical marketing communications is essential
* Experience in production of communications materials
* Proficient in use of computers and web-site editing and maintenance
* Excellent interpersonal skills
* Creativity and sense of initiative
* Strong team player
* Knowledge of or interest in self-help/mutual aid an asset
* Develop a framework for public relations and communication strategies to promote Self-Help Awareness Week amongst diverse target groups.
* Develop and implement public relations plan to promote SHAW.
* Develop needed media messages using diverse medium.
* Develop and update communication tools (website, information bulletins, project documentation, presentations) in collaboration with responsible staff
* Develop media relations and contacts
* Contribute to the future replicability of the framework through careful examination and process recording of the process.
Compensation and Duration
The consultant will be paid $2,000.00. The period of the contract is June-September 2004.
Please submit applications by Friday, May 28, 2:00 p.m., to
Attn: Jenny Formanek
Self-Help Resource Centre
40 Orchard View Boulevard, Suite 219
Toronto, ON M4R 1B9
Fax: (416) 487-0344