The Ontario Prevention Clearinghouse (OPC) is Ontario's longest standing prevention and health promotion organization, providing information, education, consultation, and networking services in French and English province-wide.
OPC is seeking a health promotion information specialist for 11 months. The position requires sound knowledge of the theories and practices of health promotion and community development, as well as Ontario's provincial health promotion and illness prevention system. The successful applicant will work collaboratively in the Health Promotion Resource Centre; provide clients/stakeholders with information, research, trends analysis, and access to resources; and ensure production of electronic bulletins, articles, and resources.
Time Commitment: 11 month educational leave contract, with a projected start date of August 23/04. This position is a full-time postion (35 hours a week).
Closing Date: Monday, July 12, 2004, at 5:00 p.m.
* Assess and clarify health promotion requests and client needs.
* Provide information, referrals, and brief, short-term consultations as required.
* Track health promotion trends, issues, and research through databases, internal and external resources/documents, literature reviews, websites, listservs and networks.
* Analyze, synthesize, and transform information into useable formats and disseminate in a variety of media (e.g., print, websites, e-bulletins).
* Contribute to development of resources and training materials. Develop, research, write and/or edit articles for OPC bulletins and websites.
* Coordinate weekly OHPE electronic bulletin, including subscription list management, website and online database maintenance and redesign, evaluation of e-bulletin, and lead e-bulletin editorial team (including members from partner organization).
* Promote, manage, monitor, and facilitate discussion on selected OPC listservs/electronic networks.
* Promote services, contributing to development, implementation, and dissemination of promotional resources.
* Record information about each service provided and results.
* Engage as a team member with program team and OPC organizationally, regarding planning, data analysis, budget management, etc. Join internal and external committees and workgroups.
* Support the development and implementation of practices and procedures for storing, recording, and accessing print and electronic resources and information.
* Maintain, support, and extend relationships and partnerships with health-promoting organizations.
* A Master's degree in health promotion or related field and a minimum of three years' related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience
* Comprehensive knowledge of, and experience in, health promotion and good knowledge of Ontario's populations and social issues
* Strong word processing, email, Internet/intranet application; database and listserv management, website development applications (e.g., Dreamweaver) and other information management methods
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Experience working within a team,and independently
* Highly organized, ability to prioritize and multi-task
* French language fluency is an asset.
Please submit a letter of interest and resume in confidence by 5:00 p.m., July 12, 2004, to
OPC Health Promotion Resource Centre
180 Dundas Street West, Suite 1900
Toronto, ON M5G 1Z8
Fax: (416) 408-2122
OPC is committed to the principles of employment equity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals.
We thank all applicants, but only those under consideration will be contacted.