The Manager is responsible for the production of regular independent population health reports including the biennial report "Improving the Health of Canadians" and other population health information products relevant to a variety of audiences; such reports include topics/issues that emerge from the CPHI Research and Policy Analysis programs as well as population health research findings from Canada and internationally. The Manager coordinates the compilation of data, information, and evidence from various sources and its transformation into information that is meaningful and useful to different target audiences.
Reports To: Director, Canadian Population Health Initiative
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Manages the production and content of population health reports and related products, including the biennial report "Improving the Health of Canadians." Coordinates processes to determine the issues and scope of reports, applying a strong conceptual understanding of health and its major determinants from a broad population health perspective. Collaborates with internal departments and Statistics Canada to ensure coordination with CIHI and Statistics Canada annual reports. Writes portions of reports and is heavily involved in editing of reports. Accountable in ensuring high quality products within a quality assurance framework.
2. Supervises the work and manages the workload of staff with sound work plans. Contributes to staff development by mentoring staff, providing effective performance feedback, and ensuring that there are opportunities for skills development.
3. Coordinates the dissemination of population health information to a variety of audiences. Ensures that the work of CPHI is effectively promoted. Manages activities for the development of strategic priorities and work plans for reporting, dissemination, and knowledge exchange and public engagement.
4. Works with the CPHI Council, external expert groups, and other stakeholders including many recognized academics, policy/decision makers from different levels of government and sectors, practitioners, and representatives of the public, media, professional organizations, and the voluntary sector to further CPHI's projects and activities.
5. Attends CPHI Council and provides support to the Council and carries out their directives as required.
6. Coordinates the development of information for appropriate dissemination vehicles, such as web-based information, e-newsletter, fact sheets, backgrounders, and media releases. Conducts media interviews in both official languages to promote the reports and findings.
7. Negotiates, manages, and monitors contracts and contribution agreements with external partners and stakeholders and/or their assigned fund administering agencies.
8. Works closely with the Manager Research and Policy Analysis and the Senior Consultant in CPHI to ensure coordination of analysis and reporting activities. Works closely with other members of the CPHI secretariat and other divisions within CIHI to coordinate financial, human resources, publication, translation, communication, and planning activities in CPHI.
Knowledge and Experience
* Graduate degree or equivalent experience/education in health sciences, social sciences, humanities, or related field, with significant experience in health research, population health, and/or health promotion
* Strong conceptual understanding of health and its broad determinants.
* Excellent report writing and editing skills
* Experience managing and supervising staff
* Knowledge and experience in managing quality assurance processes and ensuring high quality products
* Experience in development of information products for a variety of audiences
* Excellent project management experience and skills
* Contract management skills including monitoring the progress to completion
* Excellent research and analytical skills
* Strong familiarity with data compilation and manipulation
* Developed skills in coaching, facilitation, consulting and negotiating
* Ability to work in a team oriented work environment
* Some experience in policy development
* Formal media/communications training/experience an asset
* Ability to meet travel requirements
* English/French bilingualism an asset
To apply, send resumes by July 23, 2004 to
377 Dalhousie Street, Suite 200
Ottawa, ON K1N 9N8
Fax: (613) 241-8120