East York/East Toronto Family Resources is a non-profit organization that provides services and supports to children and families, prenatal to age 6. These include prenatal classes, parent/child drop-in programs, early learning/school readiness activities, family support and parenting workshops, community information and referrals to other local early years services. East York/East Toronto Family Resources is seeking to employ a Cultural Linguistic Worker to assist in outreach and work directly in OEYC programs across Beaches/East York and Toronto Centre Rosedale ridings.
Part-time position (minimum 12 hours per week, $18.50 per hour)
* Provide peer support for parents with children ages 0-6 within a culturally-appropriate context.
* Assist families in utilizing and integrating into existing programs using the home language of the family.
* Provide linkages and referrals to resources and information to assist parents in obtaining services they need.
* Assist OEYC programs to enhance service delivery and plan programs in culturally appropriate ways.
* Work in conjunction with the OEYC lead agency and OEYC programs to develop cultural competency guidelines for programs
* Support the development of relationships and facilitate social support for parents and caregivers.
* Perform outreach with ethno-cultural community and promote the importance of the "early years" in Beaches East York and the Toronto Centre-Rosedale riding.
* Other duties as required
* Strong communication skills--fluency (read, write, and speak) in English and Mandarin (Cantonese is asset)
* Ability to interpret and translate for English to Chinese languages
* Previous experience working within early childhood education, family support, social services or health programs, through volunteer, program placements or work experiences with children and/or families
* A degree/diploma/certificate or working towards a degree/diploma/certificate in Early Childhood Education (ECE), Social Work, Social Services Work, Health Promotion, Ryerson Family Support Certificate, Mothercraft Institute for Early Childhood Education, or a related field
* Knowledge or practical experience of parenting skills and children's development is essential.
* Good time management with the ability to work in a fast paced environment
* Flexible schedule to accommodate extended working hours, including evening and weekends
* A valid driver's license and First Aid/CPR is an asset
* Able to work with a diversity of staff and participants at multiple agencies
* Willingness to travel between sites
Please send your resume with a cover letter by 4:00 p.m., September 30, 2004, to
ATTN: EYET OEYC Cultural Linguistic Coordinator
947 Queen Street East
Toronto, ON M4M 1J9
Fax: (416) 686-8282
No telephone inquiries accepted. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.