* Co-ordinate the research and evaluation review; implementation of the research/evaluation policy and procedures; develop policy, write policy discussion papers and responses to key policy papers; co-ordinate activities and policies with respect to continuous quality improvement.
* Investigate and report on the economic, social, government actions and trends that impact Toronto Public Health programs and services in the City of Toronto; monitor and recommend changes to existing legislation or by-laws; and prepare discussion papers and report issues that have a direct relevance to public health practice.
* Develop program and policy recommendations that support Toronto Public Health objectives and goals for consideration by the Board of Health and Standing Committees of Council.
* Develop and maintain information on key public health policy issues and maintain contact with similar policy activities in other provinces and countries and communicate findings from research to Toronto Public Health, the Board of Health, and other city departments and committees as appropriate.
* Participate in the planning and delivery of continuing education for staff with respect to research/evaluation, policy development, and continuous quality improvement.
* Assist in the co-ordination of the Toronto Public Health response to non-policy, public health relevant documents that are produced municipally, provincially, and federally.
* Provide research and policy expertise on a wide range of issues that affect Toronto Public Health staff.
* Develop options for policies and Toronto Public Health practices in collaboration with DMT and Toronto Public Health staff. Recommend changes to improve efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery.
* Develop presentations, educational resources, journal articles, and funding proposals as required to support TPH programs and services.
* Foster and maintain co-operative working relationships within and external to the organization.
* Identify emerging issues through knowledge of trends and changes in public health, research, and CQI.
1. Master's degree in health, social sciences, business policy, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
2. Demonstrated experience in health policy development and continuous quality improvement activities and policies.
3. Demonstrated experience and understanding of research and evaluation methodologies and the conduct of research.
You must also have
* Sound judgement and ability to handle matters of confidential and sensitive nature
* Demonstrated ability to work on assignments demanding critical judgement and analytical thinking
* Highly developed communication skills, both orally and in writing, at all organizational levels
* Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain solid internal and external relationships
* Demonstrated ability to research methodologies and develop long -range policy formulation options
* Proficiency with word processing and presentation software
* Demonstrated ability to identify key emerging issues through networks, information sources, and professional affiliations
To apply for this position, please send us a resume and cover letter, quoting File #X4CNS5947, using one of the following methods
Fax: 416-397-9818 or
Email: [email protected] or
Mail to: Employment Services, Human Resources, City of Toronto, Metro Hall, 55 John Street, 5th Floor, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 3C6
Applications must be received by October 26, 2004.
Committed to employment equity, the City of Toronto encourages applications from Aboriginal people, people with disabilities, members of visible minority groups and women.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.